Carbon/Kevlar Panels

Thought i'd see if there would be any interest in Carbon/Kevlar(light and strong)panels for Defenders.I'm only saying for the defender fisrt as they are easier to dismantle and have proto's made.

Probably be able to get bonnets,wings and maybe series door bottoms.Also may be able to get truck cab roofs made up.

Haven't got firm prices as of yet but i just thought i'd gauge any interset if any.

WWW.RE-BOURNE.CO.UK

Hmm, series door bottoms might be nice if price is in the right region. Next on my todo list.

My front wings can wait but I can see the attraction. The other item to consider is kevlar rear tub protectors that could be glued/riveted as sliders shaped to the panels as an alternative to the 3x2 alloy box section sliders that work but have a less subtle appearance.

As with everything it comes down to price.

You can buy new series doors from Sam's 4x4 or £50.If they were to come in approx £100(only a guess) would people be prepared to pay that much.Never to rust again is a plus though.

Some sort of bracing would of course have to be looked at for the bonnet and wing tops.

As promised, some pictures of the doors:

There are no holes for hinges but they are marked so can be drilled, idem for the doorlock.

There is an inside an an outside panel that are glued/welded together.

Price here seems to be around 80€/door

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Price sounds fair, can't say about the finish as the pics are a tad too low quality for my taste, but I might be interested.

Any chance to get better pic of the unpainted product?

And, after, with handles/locks/tops fitted?

TIA!

Thanks Henk, they would certainly fill the holes on my bus and price seems fair. Like Michele I'd be interested to see them dressed and fitted, and also know the issues encountered. Making the external cutout for the door handle for example might take time but then they might look better with no external handle anyway and just use the internal handle. Interested that the 'galv door capping' has been molded in as well. Would the reseller ship to UK and Italy?

Hi Michele :) Yes, like you I'm looking at all options so very interested in what Landy V8 can offer. Truck is getting its MOT and for once it looks like I've fixed all the big things so getting the doors replaced over the next few months has now reached the top of the list. Been wanting to go split doors for ages but know where I am a pair of paddocks specials won't last long so glass or carbon are very attractive.

Not trying to piddle on anyone's bonfire here, but what about getting hold of a pair of series doors and remove the aluminium outer door skin and get the frames etc galvanised and then re-skin them?

Just a question that's all

John

John, quite valid though for me it would mean pulling a perfectly good set of doors apart and getting two frames galved which, given the min weights/charges would probably cost no less than getting a dozen galved. Now if the patern part chappies could do this during manufacture it would be much cheaper/quicker and I'm sure there are a few of use would be willing to pay a premium over the std part.

but what about getting hold of a pair of series doors and remove the aluminium outer door skin and get the frames etc galvanised and then re-skin them?

John

My original plan indeed, problem is I only have 1 driveable LR (my D90) and I'm not sure yet of the best way to do the job, this would mean stop the truck for xxxxxx days,

and no guarantee of successful result.

I started working on my 88" IIA door, but there's a hole in the outer skin already.

Will try again with the doors out of my (if I'll ever get the logbook done) 109" IIA, but a plug n' play solution for the Cube II would be cool...

just a quick update.

Details are with the carbon people so should be hearing back on prices soon hopefully.

Also asked the question if the bonnet can be made to withstand the weight of a spare wheel or someone standing on it.

Also considering having the side panel for the rear tub made up so it can be bonded on.

Depending on what they say about the ease/difficulty of the series doors the question will be asked about making defender doors.Have also sent details of doing the rear door.

Just hope they can make it all.

Landy V8, Are you thinking of doing the series door bottoms with the 'capping' as part of the molding like the glass ones or just the door bottom (sans capping) so we can add our old galv cappings. Think I'd prefer the later though not sure what other think.