r380 in a series 111

smokeyone

I know this topic has been covered before but I am slightly confused.

If I wanted to mate an r380 gearbox which I need to find to a rover v8

which I already have do I need to find any r380/v8 bellhousing or do

I need the short one which means some r380 input shafts are different lengths.

You can see I am confused.

After searching on the forum it seems I need a r380 from a defender because

the gearlever is in a better place - do I also need a tunnel/floorpan from a

defender to make life easier ...

I was going to mate the r380 with the ashcroft adapter to the series transfer

case but would also appreciate some advice on the bellhousing - are we talking

about the £200 ashcroft bellhousing ...

Thanks

SWB which seems to limit the gearbox choices

Then you need the shortest possible setup. My choice would be a short r380 (expensive and rare) a series to v8 engine adaptor and then the adaptor to mate the series tc to the r380. Its a lot of money invested in adaptors i guess.

G

I wouldn't bother with re-using the Series TC, you can get away with an LT230 in a SWB well enough, it's more how far forward the engine sits which is the issue. I thought Ashcrofts had some stumpy V8 bellhousings a while back, but could be wrong.

Ashcrofts seem to do the short bellhousing for around £200 so I assume they are like hens teeth

finding one for sale/ebay/etc etc. Suppose I could do a cut and shut on a standard v8 bellhousing.

I'd rather like to keep the series transfer case if possible - any alternative gearbox suggestions

- LT77 for instance ..

Go for the lt230 and make it 2wd or convert the propshaft joints !!

You don't need to convert, plenty of people run UJ's and LT230's in permanent 4x4. I converted (even though my axles have CV's) just because I like having RWD.

LT77 is not much different to an R380, they're pretty much the same box, the R380 is just a bit of an upgrade. (LT77 -> LT77S -> R380).

I am just starting to go down the same route. Having done the maths on adaptors, it seems really expensive to convert my series transfer case to fit the r380 defender box that I have got. So I am going to try mating the r380 to an LT230 I bought a while ago for another project and convert that to 2wd using the ashcroft kit; I'm not planning to use the free-wheel hubs though. My question is this; the LT230 was from an auto range-rover (1990). Will it simply mate straight up to the R380 or are the bolt patterns/casings different.

Many thanks.

I would still rather stick with adapting the R380 to the series transfer case but

I do know someone at a machine shop - does anyone know if the adapter is very special

or can they be made on a lathe/milling machine etc.

Also I have been offered a Disco R380 - I know a Defender one would be better but can

the Disco be made to fit by bending the gear lever ...

You're making this a bit hard for yourself... I think a couple of people on here did copy an Ashcroft adapter and from memory it was not easy and the result was eventually removed in favour of just fitting an LT230.

The Series TC is significantly weaker and noisier than the LT230, and the adapter kit costs a LOT more than a good LT230 will.

The LT230 is available in a variety of ratios (high range only) from 1:1 to 1.6:1 to match your gearing/tyres/engine. With Series diffs you can go for a high high range (eg 1.2 or 1:1) and retain a very low low-range which is nice off-road.

The LT230 mounts just require a few sleeved bolt holes through the chassis, 6 from memory, and then the OE mounts from a RR etc. can be bolted on and look very factory.

A Disco or RR box cannot easily be made into a Defender fitment, bending the gearstick may not be an option if the stick itself has to appear through the middle of your cubby box / centre seat.

5speeds.jpg

The money you save not buying the kit (£360 plus faffing) could go a long way towards a built-to-spec brand new R380 from Ashcrofts (~£500 going from their website prices) or your supplier of choice. I'd want more than just some old bits swapped between boxes for that money.

You can't use the same props as the LT230 is different (distance between flanges), but you may be able to retain one or the other if you are good with the measuring stick.

So it's either £360 for the adapter to a 40 year old transfer case or

£500 exchange R380 recon gearbox plus finding an lt230 transfer case

plus a spot of welding for sleeved bolt holes plus sorting out the props

plus sorting out either lt230/two wheel drive or uj versus cv for the

front axle - food for thought ...

So it's either £360 for the adapter to a 40 year old transfer case or

£500 exchange R380 recon gearbox plus finding an lt230 transfer case

plus a spot of welding for sleeved bolt holes plus sorting out the props

plus sorting out either lt230/two wheel drive or uj versus cv for the

front axle - food for thought ...

Correction:

It's either:

£360 for the adapter to a 40 year old transfer case

or

finding an lt230 transfer case (easy, £50 all day long)

plus a spot of welding for sleeved bolt holes (not rocket surgery)

plus sorting out the props (measure wisely and you can use at least one standard off-the-shelf unit)

plus optionally sorting out either lt230/two wheel drive, or not if you're not fussed (UJ's are happy in permanent 4x4 as has been said before)

Both options require a gearbox, either LT77 or R380, either new or 2nd hand, and neither of which are found in the wild with a V8 bellhousing + defender shifter.

The LT230 gains you strength/reliability, choice of ratios (worth bearing in mind if you plan to go to coiler diffs at a later date) and the option of permanent 4x4 if that floats your boat.

So your gearbox options are:

- Something old from a V8 defender (LT95? 85?)

- Something from a 4-pot defender (LT77/R380) plus a V8 adapter & a bit of faffing & 9.5" clutch

- Something from a V8 RR/Disco and a very bendy gear lever which comes up by your left elbow.

- Something from a V8 RR/Disco (10.5" clutch) with the back end of a Defender box (bitsa)

- Something built from new bits with all the right things in the right places, drop in with no faff but costing a bit of cash.

I have the last option, with 2x4 LT230 behind a 4.6, with custom HD props. It wasn't cheap but it all just works perfectly, I have done thousands of miles on it and am very happy with it. When I had the 3.9 in front of the Series boxes I got fed up of feeling like if I pushed the pedal too hard the cogs would explode out of the side.