Home made roof tent?

If I had a tent like that I`d rather leave it on the ground, would`nt be worth the hastle of securing all the corners etc, instead of pegging then, not to mention not having a proper ladder to get in and out at the opening etc.

The Crichton's (? - Ian and Ilene?), always at the Landy shows and have written 'Chasing Rainbows', built their own roof tent... didn't look much like that though! Still, if you're at a Landy show might be worth having a chat with them :)

The Crichton's (? - Ian and Ilene?), always at the Landy shows and have written 'Chasing Rainbows', built their own roof tent... didn't look much like that though! Still, if you're at a Landy show might be worth having a chat with them :)

perfect for keeping out of the rain, but not if you don't like ep90 dripping on your bonce! :rolleyes:

Got me thinking about building one of my own with a roof rack and a free standing tent such as this.....

Anyone done such a thing?

I have also thought about this, but probably not the standard tent type.

You need to find something with steeper sides so that you can minimise

the size of the roof platform.

Also, you need soemthing that you can leave the poles up and just consitina

it all up (difficult to sit on roof and put poles in tent).

The main advantage of the roof tent is that you can keep all your bedding

inside the tent and leave the tent up there to just unfold.

If you can find a tent of right type, maybe one with external U poles that radiate

from the centre then it could all just work.

I agree that the roof tents on the market are way overpriced, probably cause

they are all hand made and small production runs so no Asian labour.

ttfn

Matthew

Two equal sized rectangular GRP pieces, a surplus parachute or tenting fabric, and four collapsable sticks of equal length and you have a credible if inelegant roof tent. Add waterproof covered foam base of GRP piece size and you have a comfortable if inelegant roof tent. Etc. The GRP or fibreglass yatta, yatta pieces should be clamshell shaped optimally so that the tenting fits inside and the two pieces mate up to provide a seal when the tent is down - preferably with a few clamps (J33P bonnet closer type thinggies for example) to be sure.

If you can't get the GRP pieces (not what as you would find lying around out in the shed per se) another type of resin based material or any heavey-duty plastic material would do but may be less weather resistant / protective when not in use. The collapsable sticks (telescoping may work if lockable like my golf ball retriever) hold the top up and you can tie off to recovery points and outriggers for extra stability.

Enjoy.

Maggiolina tents - that's effectively what my home-made design plans above would emulate, minus the handwinch operation for opening. They seem quite sensible if not the most hi-tech.