Adjustable panhard rod- why did I even need one?

So I bought an adjustable panhard rod purely for the reason that my axle is clearly NOT in line with the chassis before I fit it.

I had to force the chassis accross while hammering the rod into place- meaning it is probably under some stress right now.

Does that mean I've done something wrong? The axle was at least >1cm out of alignment- as measured from the spring seat on the axle to the chassis one. Seems to leave measurements of 2/3mm way behind!

Is it meant to sit so wildly to one side? Could it just be that since I started my build the axle was out of alignment from the early days, and that this will sort itself out when the truck moves?

So I bought an adjustable panhard rod purely for the reason that my axle is clearly NOT in line with the chassis before I fit it.

I had to force the chassis accross while hammering the rod into place- meaning it is probably under some stress right now.

yes you would have to force the chassis across as that is what the rod does it opposes the force of the drag link (front bar of the steering) so u can steer and not just move the front axles sideways :)

how did find the axle not in line ?

... that is what the rod does it opposes the force of the drag link (front bar of the steering) so u can steer and not just move the front axles sideways :)

It does that, but more importantly it is there to locate the axle assembly and take all other transverse loads from the tyres to the chassis e.g. from cornering, side slopes, obstacles etc., which can be considerable higher than from the drag link.

Thanks guys.

I fitted it with no steering attached- so I certainly wasn't pushing against the drag link.

I'd also replaced the bushes on the radius arms. I think that may still have been it though- once they were bolted in place, probably slightly out of line, they probably stuck like that.

In the end we connected the steering and used that to realign the chassis and axle.

It just seemed slightly odd to me that it was so far out. It was my understanding that stationary there should only be about 2/3mm difference after the lift!