Perking up RR suspension on a budget

FridgeFreezer

I have two different scenarios for your discussion regarding RR suspension:

1:

My dad's RR (86 4dr EFi) has always been a bit down, at some point we'll probably stick some new springs and shocks in to perk it back up. However, it's only dad's toy and he's not into spending money on it he doesn't have to.

So is there a stock suspension combination (or one that costs close to a normal new set of springs and shocks) that will work a bit better than just straight replacement of what's there? It's only used off-road or driving to/from events so comfort/road handling isn't a major issue. I've heard of police spec springs, and I've also heard good things about the Bearmach yellow springs. He doesn't want to be replacing brake lines / propshafts etc (or more accurately I don't want to be replacing them for him :rolleyes: )

2:

My RR is the opposite - used mainly on-road and for a bit of towing, it only goes off-road to marshal at club events so I'm not bothered about upping or even keeping the off-road flex. Again the stock setup is a little tired, so on a similar budget what springs/shocks/bushes should I go for to make it a well-mannered motorway cruiser?

In both cases I've heard of the Disco spring isolators being useful for something or other but no idea what?

1. Your Dad's RR....

Put some std. RR heavy duty springs all round - about £60 from any of the big mail order people.

Put some Rough Country ( I am the UK importer so I'm biased :D ) or Pro Comp shocks on it. Remember that if you put longer shocks on a RR the rear springs will dislocate so you will either need to spend £50 on a pair of relocation cones or Jubilee clip them in....

The whole job could be done for £200 and would give it a real boost.....

2. Your RR

Replace the knackered std springs will OE replacement ones and fit a set of gas shocks ( again I reckon Rough Country are the best :D:D

David

LLAMA 4x4

:lol: I think he wants you to buy Rogh Country!!

Gas shocks... definately the way to go! Although I wouldn't know about them Rough Country ones! I stuck De-Carbons on mine (before hearing about the top eyes rusting off!! :huh: ) about a year ago... What a MAJOR improvement both on and off road :D

Police spec springs are slightly stiffer IIRC.

There is a thread about them isolator rings over in the international forum...

'On the cheap' lift is easy.

Red/White stripe h/d rears all round with 60 mm spacer on the back will resulty in approx 2" lift for very little outlay, as 60mm box section off cuts are easy found in local fab shop scrap bin. Pro Comp +2" shocks are cheap from Paddock or MM4x4

For your road motor just go heavy duty with gas shocks as already mentioned.

Cheers guys!

David - when the time comes I may give those Rough Country ones a go, assuming the price is right. I would usually go for ProComps, what are the RC ones like in comparison?

Deano - your cheap 2" lift is tempting but I do wonder if there are knock-ons like prop UJ problems or brake line stretching that may happen as a result? Dad enjoys the driving but not the spannering.

I would go with what has already suggested.

Then again it is what I will be doing.

Had a chat with David at llamathe other day and I will be giving the RC's a go as soon as my budget allows.

I know they are a pain to remove but get rid of the Boge self-levelling unit too, especially if the back end is a bit saggy. It certainlt won't be helping things.

SG

The tidy (read proper) way....

Four bolts secure the Boge to the cross member these need to be undone and withdrawn. At the bottom it is fixed to the "A" frame with a very flat 19mm(I think) nut which also needs to be undone and is a real PITFA.

The untidy way (but much easier).....

Use an angle grinder on it but be careful not to cut the actual body of the boge. Once removed tidy to your own needs.

SG

Cheers guys!

David - when the time comes I may give those Rough Country ones a go, assuming the price is right. I would usually go for ProComps, what are the RC ones like in comparison?

I can make sure the price is right so that is not a worry....

Compared to the ProComp?

I am not here to bemoan ProComp at all - in fact ( for the money ) I think they are a great shock. Where I feel I have been able to make some advances over them is on the mountings.. Many people say that the studs snap off ProComps and it is true, I have seen many do it -BUT it is almost entirely the fault of the person fitting them who has done the nuts up so damned tight that there is no 'squidge' left in the rubber bushes at all. The Rough Country ones however have been made to my spec so, like a genuine or OME for example, the studs on the RC are of 14mm diameter but with a 12mm thread - once the nut is done up to the shoulder you can't go any further making it impossible to overtighten the bushes.

The valving is also LT specific rather than picking an existing cylinder off the shelf and welding LR ends onto it...

They also come complete with boots ( some choose not to fit them ) and with poly bushes - there is no estra over the retail price to finish them off....

Hope that answers your questions

David

LLAMA 4x4

i got a set of procomps and set of +2" procomp/explorer blue springs! the springs have surface rust as numb nuts here pressure washed the rolling chassis before i put it on the drive!! shox have no oil leaks etc and rebound ok. £80 if thats any good to ya?

In my experience 2" lift is not hard on uj's...

:)

I feel that they survive well and the castor angle is not particularly affected.

Both my motors have a 2" lift: Shed has Pro-Comp and the Disco has Rocky Mountain and neither has problems with uj's or castor. They are totally different animals to drive though, with Shed wallowing along but having unbelievable articulation while the Disco handles like a sports car and is ok offroad.