Terrafirma Big Bore Shocks

Has anyone else tried the terrafirma big bore shock absorbers?

I've tried fitting them to the from of my 2001 TD5 110CSW and they are fouling on the spring perch.

The turrets are Terrafirma standard height as well.

Thanks all for any help / advice.

Am looking to fit them outboard of the turret now on a twin shock mount. Anyone any thoughts about doing that?

Ben

'big bore' bit of a giveaway, obviously to big to fit in the correct place, mounting forward of the spring mounts will be OK, just make sure the bottom coil of each spring is secured to the axle mounts, might need reloaction cones or similar too, if you intend to play in the mud at funny axle angles to keep the springs from popping out.

Had my fill of play days pretty much... it's to replace my aging 300tdi rally recovery unit. I'll have a look at location cones and retaining brackets as well.

Thanks

Ben

'big bore' bit of a giveaway, obviously to big to fit in the correct place, mounting forward of the spring mounts will be OK, just make sure the bottom coil of each spring is secured to the axle mounts, might need reloaction cones or similar too, if you intend to play in the mud at funny axle angles to keep the springs from popping out.

I've just fitted them on my 1994 110CSW and i'm having fun and games aplently. Basicallly i don't think they fit properly !

The bottom of the shock (part where the nut goes) could theoretically hit the top on the axle tube. Thats bad. As far as i can tell the rubbers on the shocks mean the retaining screws/pins need to be longer meaning the pin is too long for the bottom on my defender.

The closed length is too long and the shock bottoms out before the bump stops hits meaning you need extended bumps. Also not good. I recon the only way i could get them to fit is to fit taller shock turrets on the front and i've not even started to diagnose the rear...

I'm not sure mine would ever foul though. Exaclty where and how are the fouling? By spring perch do you mean bottom or top? I'm pretty good with a camera and intend on having my setup in bits agian this week so can get some photos for you.

I mean at the top of the spring.

I've ordered a set of Bearmach twin shock mounts and I'm going to try mounting the outboard of the spring. I've not ordered Terrafirma ones as the shocks don't fit them. A frienf who has the bog Koni's has his external on Bearmach turrets, I'll report later next week when I've had a chance to try them.

A lot of this may be down to Landrover exact engineering and where the axle sits in relation to the springs!

B

when you compress the front spring, does the leading edge of the shock catch on the spring perch?

Ben

No, nothing catches, they are a bit tight on the lower pins, but I was coparing them to the I think they're called "explorer" shicks that where on before they are Identical.

Not measured the full compression with regard to bump stops as just put new turrets on, I'm still makeing some adjustments, the rear is definatly fine.

post-20087-066648100 1287948184_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So... fitted the Bearmach twin turrets and we're nearly there. The bottom brackets are too close to the spring by 5mm so going to get the brackets modified with the aid of an angle grinder and welder. The seats to go in, new boots and off for an MOT :)

We fitted a set of Big bores shocks to a 110" here at KAM and had no problems. The customer was also very happy with the ride afterwards too.

Steve

The ride is very good, I have quite hard springs on at the moment which firm up the suspension nicely, feel good onroad, not tested it extensivly offroad yet, I suspect it may be a little hard, but the damping was night and day between the old gas preloaded shocks that where on it before.

As far as I can see the problem is with the chassis not the shocks, either the spring perches are too far back of the radius arm mounts too far forward. At the end of the day we have come up with a solution, just need to sort it...

As far as I can see the problem is with the chassis not the shocks, either the spring perches are too far back of the radius arm mounts too far forward. At the end of the day we have come up with a solution, just need to sort it...

How much are they out by? have you got the correct rad arm bushes on? and are they tight enough? that to a certain extend governs where the axle sits, (the rad arm to chassis bushes, not the rad arm to axel ones...)

The basis of the problem as I see it is the big bore shocks are engineered to 'just' fit and if there is any discrepency then they will foul. I'll take some pics as I put the bits together.

Some pictures I think might help.

I presume you have standard axels and original chassis? has your truck had much work done to it before, i.e. has it been faffed with previous to yourself?

It sounds like your Rad arms are the wrong size some how, making the axel miss aligne with the chassis. - is there any extra spacers/washers where the Rad arm attaches to the chassis, this making the axel sit to far forward?

As you can see from the photo's I posted, there is a good 10mm plus clearance around the shocks on mine, they are tight ish, compared to standard ones but I wouldn't say they where engineered to "just" fit.

• 11 months later...

I too am having this issue. I have fitted the terraferma STD height turret stamped with R on the offside of the vehicle and the one stamped with L on the near side. Although it is a close call, the near side shock does move into the turret without fouling. The offiside shock, however, is visibly at an angle and fouls on the turret/spring perch. I have checked the Radius arms are the same length. Lastly I have fitted the turrets with the flat edge facing the engine on both sides. Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Well 7 months down the line... Death wobble appeared about 40mph. One of the lower outboard shock mounts had sheared! Terrafirma big bore shocks have gone to the scrap heap! Now fitted a set of Bilstean in the standard shock in the conventional manner. Now handling on rails again :) Oh and the MOT man was happy :)

Ben