Wheels spacers

Hi All,

I have a question about fitting wheel spacers to drum braked rear axle? Is it possible? It was my understanding that you couldn't fit alloy wheels due to the heat produced from the drum, so presumably the alloy wheel spacer wouldn't fare any better? the reason for fitting spacers is that the previuos owner of the truck fitted some LARGE wheels, but they rub on the radius arms. I don't have the cash at the moment for new wheels and tyres so a cheaper fix is to fit spacers for just now.

Thank you in advance,

Robin

The problems with alloy wheels are due to the physical size of the drive flanges which are too big for the alloy to fit over rather than heat issues. So there are no issues with fitting spacers :)

HTH

Mo

I agree with Mo, the problem was only on the front axle. The inner diameter of the alloy is too small and in the older models the stub axle was to long.

I fitted spacers and it works 100%, actually 110%, because it improved my handling!

Phillis,

I have just fitted some alloys to my 1989 90. I used 30mm alloy spacers (from rakeway) but if you search on ebay for 30mm spacers then you'll find both alloy and steel spacers on there. up to you for your preference of what material to buy though!

Alloy

Steel 110 ones

Just make sure that you get ones that fit your hubs!!!

If axles are like mine (originals i think!!!) you'll need the types like the alloy ones above.

HTH

Chris

I think if you are fitting alloy wheels onto the spacers you really need the ones with a spigot in the middle to locate the wheel centre; otherwise there is nothing actually locating it - the nuts on LR alloys only clamp as the conical part is not used. OTOH steel wheels are located by the cones on the wheelnut - you'd get away without the spigot. There was a lot of problems on commercials about 30 years where people mixed up the 2 types and lost wheels.

Nigel

Thanks for that guys, that really helps!

Smiles: Did you fit spacers then alloys?

RGP,

Yes, It bolts onto the hub and has its own studs. You then fit the alloy to the spacer. The steel rims also fit the spacers. I drove around with the steel rims and then switched to Alloys. I used a 30mm steel spacer. I also agree that the center lips is important to ensure the alloy is centered.