Whats this thingy?

Basically you could fit it, but you would need a separate diesel tank and a fuel pump to supply it, and the correct hoses to plumb it into your coolant system, devon sell them for about £1200 for a kit to fit a defender, they work very well, lots of other vehicles have them, mercs citroens etc

All the manuals are available for free download if you google them. I have something similar-ish, an Eberspacher D2 air heater in my 109. The car is petrol but the heater is diesel, Jez made me an ali tank that sits in the back and the heater will run for weeks on naff all diesel (official consumption flat out face-melting mode is 0.4l/hour). A half-size jerry can with a tube welded/brazed into the top or similar would be fine for the tank (TSD has this setup in his Ibex, it works well and is removable).

The Webasto should have its own little pump, possibly even internally as some are completely self-contained for this sort of application - failing that they're all over eBay.

Hoses would be however much hose you need to plumb it to your heater circuit, it's available by the metre from places as dodgy as halfords or any reputable motor factors / hose suppliers.

Cheers Fridge!

So if i can find a unit like this off a freelander td4 etc...

All im really looking at is a small diesel tank, some form of diesel pump for it (if one isnt already included) it wires upto 12v battery, then just some ducting for the air to blow about in the desired places???

Think this may be a good value heater upgrade if thats the case! - How noisy are they???

Thanks again!

You don't need a unit off a Freelander, lots of cars had them - BMW's and VW's have them too, just search eBay for "webasto" or "eberspacher". Just look out, some units are 100% self-contained, some require an external box of tricks to run.

You don't need "some form of diesel pump", you need the very small dosing pump designed for the unit, it just "ticks" every so often to push a few drops of diesel through rather than running continuously like a vehicle fuel pump. They're all of £25 on eBay.

As Luke said, the unit heats your coolant not the air so no ducting required, your car will just be warm as soon as you start it. The air heaters are bigger but do give the option of having hot air blowing in the car without relying on the vehicle heater, which with a LR heater could be a better idea (especially for sleeping in the vehicle etc.), I think you can mod the LR heater box so the air heater blows into it and then uses all the existing ducting etc.

They do sound like a very small jet engine when running, although my D1LC is very quiet on the low setting (they're designed to be night heaters for trucks).

:ph34r:Where are you going with your 90, the artic, ? if you are not getting enough heat out of a V8 then you have something very wrong either with your heater or thermostat my 110 will defrost the rear side windows after a couple of miles :ph34r::lol: the only annoying part is knowing its the petrol that is providing the heat :o

:ph34r:Where are you going with your 90, the artic, ? if you are not getting enough heat out of a V8 then you have something very wrong either with your heater or thermostat my 110 will defrost the rear side windows after a couple of miles :ph34r::lol: the only annoying part is knowing its the petrol that is providing the heat :o

Fair point, where the hell does(should) the thermostat live then? Ill try sorting that badger out first! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...