AWDC Howling wolf aftermath - Slindon

markyb

Great weekend and home nice and early unlike last time. :-)

Cheers for the loan of the 8274 circlips :-) after the break blow off on section 3

Shame we were wrongly classed in class 2 again instead of class 3 as we did the math afterward and thought hang on we had a blinding night stage and day today, but Neil ensured he will right it tonight when he gets home so might be going on a trophy hunt for 2 lots of trophys and prizes. from this round and still to pickup the last round ,

Keen to see the overall championship points now for CLASS 3 has been tight all year between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4th, Neil mental note car 36 class 3 :-) :-)

First off event results now posted

HERE

Apologies to Mark and Will again for putting them in the wrong class (Boring Explanation: as we had night sections I used the spreadsheet from Round 1 as the template, in which they were Class 2) So for the second time Rupert and Hugh got bonus trophies for 4th in class! I will sort yours out and get them in the post Mark!!

I'm going to try and do the final points now so I don't have to do them tomorrow!

OK, all championship tables now posted

HERE

So to summarise

Congratulations to Rob Tunnah & Carwyn Henry for defending and retaining the Howlin' Wolf Trophies.

Class prize winners:

Class One

1st Kev Pocock & Dan Elias

2nd Paul Church & Cliff Garrod

3rd Barrie Gee & Adam Gee

Class Two

1st Nick Watts & James Trembath (with a little help from Mark Catchpole) - Team X-Eng Goodwinch

2nd Ian Mousdale & Tom Salt - Team West Midlands 4x4

3rd Rob Jones & Darren Chesher

Class Three

1st Jonathan Smith & Alan Webb

2nd Sam Coulton & Matthew Martin

3rd Mark Burfitt & Will Christie-Hall

Prizes will be presented at the AWDC Annual AGM and Prizegiving on 22nd January 2011. This will be followed by the annual Dinner Dance, full details in the latest All Wheel Driver page 35.

As I announced at the event prizegiving that was the last ever Howlin' Wolf Challenge!

However we do have plans for a series next year which will replace both the Howlin' Wolf and XTC. Details are in the advanced planning stages but you will have to bear with us for a few weeks while Carole and I get our new business venture up and running.

We will endeavour to make an announcement as soon as possible but in the meantime I would like to thank all of the competitors, officials and sponsors for their support over the last three years and I hope we will be able to continue to deliver events that you want to do in the future.

Neil, just to say thank you publicly for a all your and your marshalls hard work today at Slindon. Nick really enjoyed the water on Section 17!!! hence why we did it last!

Night stages were good and certainly make the trip worth while.

Not that it matters now if things are changing but orange tape for left, right and the punch marker certainly makes it interesting trying to recce the right route!

Thank you for taking on and running the whole series, it is greatly appreciated by us the competitors and i know it can be a never ending thankless task. We have had alot of fun on the HW series over the years and it has certainly help us develop in the challenge field.

Si and X-Eng - top prizes thank you. Headtorches are superb and will help with the winter running program, now i can see what i am falling over!!!

Thanks Neil great event again and have enjoyed the whole year...we had our fair share of breakages with ropes snapping shaft broke, and smashed every pannel on the rear tub today plus a load of lights and the usual stuff :)

Sorry to the guys who owe us trophies / prizes, shame were having to ask

(Prizes will also be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each class. No competitor may win more than one prize. In the event of a tie, the competitor with the highest score at the final round will be the winner.)

should I be second in class 2? or am I looking at the wrong score table?

blow me 20 points between me and jonathan 1 punch would of made the difference not bad tho i surposs as i broke 2 cv's winch rope and a bust alt + blew the side of my tyre out 10 yards into the first night section all in all it has been a great year thanks to neil and all the team we look forward to next season now what ever the format maybe

(Prizes will also be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each class. No competitor may win more than one prize. In the event of a tie, the competitor with the highest score at the final round will be the winner.)

should I be second in class 2? or am I looking at the wrong score table?

You're absolutely right Rob, apologies as I didn't even spot the tie.

The results have been updated accordingly.

Also an adjustment for Bob & Dawn Smith as I deducted two punches that had been done twice, but clever Mr Excel had already done it for me.

Thanks also to Simon at X-Eng for the superb prizes, well chosen as always! I suppose that means we will have to include some Night Stages next year ;)

And thanks for the help for pulling us out of stage 20 after we landed on our roof :blink:

Gordon

No worries - but you only parked briefly on your roof before finally coming to rest the right way up! :rolleyes:

I think this was one of the best events this year, thoroughly good weekend apart from trying to stop suicidal photographers from being in the daftest of places! :angry:

Looking forward to next year......

No worries - but you only parked briefly on your roof before finally coming to rest the right way up! :rolleyes:

the reason it didn't start was the auto gearstick cable had stretched / budged slightly (broke 3 engine/gearbox rubber mountsm - so the engine moved) meaning the inhibit switch was misalinged :rolleyes:

Really sorry but another update to the results puts Bob & Dawn Smith into 3rd Place

REVISED RESULTS

Perhaps I should stop trying to do the results when I get home tired and wait a couple of weeks. Seems to work for others ;)

I guess this means the Mrs has a well earned trophy some where, she worked well yesterday (and every other day of course). She was a bit upset when we did section 14 twice because we took the wrong route the first time. The tape is a good idea but needs a little 'fine tuning'.

The tape is a good idea but needs a little 'fine tuning'.

like white on right, red on left and numbered and different coloured to punch marker tape.

i understand there won't be section as such next year, but one thing that was a hindrance at times at Slindon was spectators. If it is roped or continuous tape they dont go in it (normally) However on Sunday spectators were all over the place at times in the way and also coming to talk to people when they are trying to do a section! not the best place for them to be!

Fantastic weekend and a great way to end the season / Howling Wolf series.

Felt very weird being a passenger and not a driver, this year but I really enjoyed it!

Really enjoyed the night section with a bit of speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed in it! smile.gif. Shame our turbo hose came of on the trial gate section other wise we wouldn't of needed to winch out at the end.

We seemed to make the right decision early on sunday and go straight in to the 'outback' then to the road, and only hit traffic in one section!

Really enjoyed the sections and it was nice to finish the day! An added bonus to walk away with 1st in class as well! I liked some of the steep drops just wish I had been driving! blink.gif but is always fun sending some one else over the edge! ph34r.gif. Really enjoyed the new section lay out with the tape! makes you think and you can take a different line to everyone else if required!

As a competitor and a sponsor I would like to Thank Neil, Carol all the marshals, scrutineers and everyone else involved in the running of the event for the 2 years that I have been involved with it. I also look forward to supporting what ever Neil has planned for us next year.

As ever at slindon there seemed to be plenty of cameras out flashing all over the place..... Where are all the pics? I do believe some one will also have a picture of me when I kinda got a bit excited and jumped in to a trench of lovely cold water very early on in the day, to Kev's amusement.

Also Thank you so Simon for the head torch biggrin.gif

See you all next year!

Dan

any more pictures i hear we had a roll or 2

see you at the AGM. looks like some trophy exchange will go on there. If i can collect and bring any back to basingstoke let me know as looks like we just have round 3 to collect from Sam and co.,