p38 air spring options please

maxtherotti

Hi all

My 2001 spec 4.6 has got 3 perished air bags on it and while they are causing no probs at present it has had 1 replaced (osr) before i got it so im guessing the others cant be far behind,

My question is do i just get 3 dunlops and replace the others or do i go the arnott route??

I have read elsewhere that the driving character of the arnotts is different to oe but was not said how they differ???

Anyone have a opinion please?

Thanks Rob

I have a P38 and have replaced the bags with the Dunlop's seem fine. As far as I know the cone on the arnott ones have a different shape cone which make the ride firmer stiff on the lower setting and soft on the highest setting which is opposite to the dunlop ones plus as far as I know there is a guarantee with them. I think I would go with the Arnott ones if I was to do it again.

I've got Arnott GIII on my LSE (RRC softie) and I would buy them again, cash permitting.

There is a common misconception that the OEM air springs are softer at lower setting because the piston is narrower at the bottom which is the low profile/compressed area of the spring. Thsi is not true, the front airbags (RRC at least) are designed to give a linear spring rate and the rears with a parallel piston actually give a progressive or climbing rate.

Anyway, the Arnoots have parallel pistons at both ends so you have 4 progressive springs at normal height. Added to that the bottom section whicg coresponds to factory low profile setting is a larger diameter, when mine goes into low profile you can feel the car tighten up on the raod, it is much more sporty and very firm, not big fun on a rough road but brillinat on a fast A road. I get very little body roll and brilliant handling, i wish i could force it into low profile quicker at times.

Had I not bust the gearbox I'd say pop over and I'd take you for a spin.

Another plus is the extra droo travel I can get, the front end will go almost 2 inches extra when inflated, the back end will go up to 3 inches but on the classic you can get plus 2 inch shocks on without other modifications so I run those.

Here are some pictures of my springs, you can see they are built differently and one downside is if you over extend them they are trashed whereas the Dunlop one will pop off the seats. the limited lifetime warranty if reasuring though.

For advice speak to a guy called Dennis at Rover Renovations in the 'states, he's a star, he knows his Range Rovers and is a regular contributer on the Rovacom forum too.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/Range-Rover-p38-Air-Springs-s/6.htm

If I knew where they were I have a pair of rear Arnotts for the P38, I remember they are well built with billet CNC pistons and platforms with a strong airbag and plated steel pressure bands, nice bit of kit.

Any questions drop me a line. Unfortunately I can't help you with reprogramming at the moment, it's a different licence for Rovacom which I never needed.

Any questions drop me a line. Unfortunately I can't help you with reprogramming at the moment, it's a different licence for Rovacom which I never needed.

You can do the reprogramming with EASUnlock (free download), though you'll still need to make or buy a cable and if you don't have a computer with a serial port (rare on recent machines) a USB to serial adapter*.

* - try to get a recommendation from someone who has one that's known to work with the EAS controller - USB to serial adapters can be cranky things, and there's no easy way to predict which ones will work properly.

Hi Rob,

you can grab the software from sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/easunlock/

Or buy a kit with the software and cable/adapter from various places (one of them: http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/interfaces/mj032.htm). I did the latter for mine and it works great. I keep an old Asus EeePC in the boot with the cable so I can unlock the eas when required.

hth :)

Pete.

The Arnot G3 are, in my opinion better if you are wanting to a) keep the truck and b) want versatility (i.e. want off and on road performance). On a 2001 P38 I'd say (all things being equal) that you are going to keep it on b) only you can say.

The set up I adopted was Arnott G3s and Bilstein Shocks. Overall the performance off road is better as the G3s move with rough terrain rather better than the dunlops. This leaves you "hanging in the air" rather less and, imho, produces better traction.

On road the vehicle is more balanced - though if you are looking for the armchair effect - and don't want the improved off road performance - then OEM is probably better. That said I have a JE uprated V8 in mine which works well up to 5k revs and quite honestly if I wasn't on Arnotts I'd probably be scared ;)

Nevertheless - like any "sportier" set up - it is firmer.

UK wise Andy Iles at P38 Spares is a reliable Arnott agent - and can also supply OEMs cost effectively.

Hope that helps

Martin

G2s are, I think, closer to OEMs but sold as being more durable so you may find that the ride differences are not as noticable. The G3s are designed to run with a lower spring rate off road and a higher one in highway mode (above 50mph) - almost the opposite to OEMs. That said I have no experience of G2s and being a techie was rather drawn to the concept of there being an element of "improvement" in the G3s rather than the G2s. Worth checking the Arnott website for details at www.arnottindustries.com. Whatever, if you go for Arnotts you shouldn't need to buy any more as they all come with a "lifetime" guarantee - i.e. if they spring a leak (unless they are maliciously cut!) you ought to get an exchange, though I'm not sure whether you'll get the "satisfaction" exchange that they apply in the US. Probably also worth a chat with Andy Iles at P38 Spares if you are undecided.

Picking up on your comment about mild laning at worst and the fact that your wife appears to have taken on ownership I suspect I'd go for G2s personally. The G3s are "different" - and I suspect a bit "marmite" so to speak. My other half doesn't have much of an opinion but oddly tends to prefer her Suzuki GV "on road" as she reckons the ride is smoother - I however beg to differ for reasons stated above related to the powerplant setup (which incidentally gives me about 18 mpg on LPG - though not when in sport mode! :D

Pity you aren't nearer to Herts else you could come and play with my bus before you decide!

Martin

G2s are, I think, closer to OEMs but sold as being more durable so you may find that the ride differences are not as noticable. The G3s are designed to run with a lower spring rate off road and a higher one in highway mode (above 50mph) - almost the opposite to OEMs. That said I have no experience of G2s and being a techie was rather drawn to the concept of there being an element of "improvement" in the G3s rather than the G2s. Worth checking the Arnott website for details at www.arnottindustries.com. Whatever, if you go for Arnotts you shouldn't need to buy any more as they all come with a "lifetime" guarantee - i.e. if they spring a leak (unless they are maliciously cut!) you ought to get an exchange, though I'm not sure whether you'll get the "satisfaction" exchange that they apply in the US. Probably also worth a chat with Andy Iles at P38 Spares if you are undecided.

Picking up on your comment about mild laning at worst and the fact that your wife appears to have taken on ownership I suspect I'd go for G2s personally. The G3s are "different" - and I suspect a bit "marmite" so to speak. My other half doesn't have much of an opinion but oddly tends to prefer her Suzuki GV "on road" as she reckons the ride is smoother - I however beg to differ for reasons stated above related to the powerplant setup (which incidentally gives me about 18 mpg on LPG - though not when in sport mode! :D

Pity you aren't nearer to Herts else you could come and play with my bus before you decide!

Martin

yep thats a defo shame but alas would cost more in fuel than the new springs lol

still thinking some gen2,s as from the info on arnotts site gen3 sound more off road inspired

thanks all for the input

rob

I havn't tried the GII to be honest but if the GIII are off-road springs I'd love to see what they could do for an on-road car :)

My LSE has GIII and they are nice and soft in high profile (I use it for drivong speed humps round here) and more firm and controlled in low profile at speed. It makes a brillilant tow-car too because of the extra stability at speed.