200tdi oil flow, radiator in the rear

jad

My dad and I have been building a 200tdi 80 inch trialler/possible winch vehicle from a disco 1.

We have put the radiator right at the very back and we have extended the oil cooling pipes for the engine to it.

It has been suggested that this may make it a very long time for the oil pressure to build up. Does anyone have any experience of this or knwo the how the oil circulates around the engine?

I would have throught that engine oil would be picked up from the sump (obviously) and then used to lubricate the engine which would then be put through the filter to take out any carp picked up by it and and put through the oil cooler when it is hottest and fed back into the sump. This would make me think that there would not be any oil pressure problems, but i could always be wrong.....

Basically I want to know if we are gonna bugger the engine?

Thanks for your help

Jad

FWIW, a friend has been building a challenge truck with a 300tdi and a rear rad, and he's using the built in oil cooler.

It has no problems at all getting, or maintaining, oil pressure. The radiator is on the low pressure (after the engine) side of the circuit, and isn't even in circuit all the time - the oil thermostate means the radiator is only in circuit when the oil is hot enough.

And oil doesn't compress very much at all, so getting pressure generally shouldn't be a problem anyway, but you may find oil changes are a bit difficult; either the oil comes out and it takes an age to refill ('cause now it's full of air) or it doesn't drain and you have a load of dirty oil left.Having remote drain & fill points seems extreme but I can't think of another solution to that one. How would you get the oil after it had been in the engine, as normally it just drips back to the sump?

Nigel

FWIW, a friend has been building a challenge truck with a 300tdi and a rear rad, and he's using the built in oil cooler.

It has no problems at all getting, or maintaining, oil pressure. The radiator is on the low pressure (after the engine) side of the circuit, and isn't even in circuit all the time - the oil thermostate means the radiator is only in circuit when the oil is hot enough.

Thats good to hear. thanks for the response

And oil doesn't compress very much at all, so getting pressure generally shouldn't be a problem anyway, but you may find oil changes are a bit difficult; either the oil comes out and it takes an age to refill ('cause now it's full of air) or it doesn't drain and you have a load of dirty oil left.Having remote drain & fill points seems extreme but I can't think of another solution to that one. How would you get the oil after it had been in the engine, as normally it just drips back to the sump?

Nigel

thats isnt too much of a problem, its not a road going vehicle so it can be left to drain. I dont think we will worry about dirty oil being left in the pipes. we can move them about to help with the oil pipes around a bit to help it drain.

I have a 80 200tdi with rear radiator! i will watch this with interest!!

You say you are gonna watch this.... If you have one how long have you had it? what do you do with it? any had any problems?

Also does anyone know if the 200 has a thermostat for the engine oil as standard?

cheers

Jad

Std oil circuit is.

Sump, oil pump, filter, cooler(if hot enough), engine brgs, sump.

so your saying that the oil goes through the cooler before it goes through the engine? so its in the high pressure side? and having the oil cooler in the rear could cause oil pressure problems?

I run a 300 tdi disco tray back with the water radiator in the back and i removed the engine oil cooler by using a short bypass hose by the oil filter. Never given me any problems in not having a cooler but it is a good motor. It might be different if your motor is well used.

Yes the cooler is in the pressure side cos there is no piped non pressure. If you are worried that the length of the pipe runs will cause a pressure drop when the thermo opens to send the oil thro the cooler then up the hoses/pipes a size with reducers to connect at each end. I.E. replace the 1/2" hoses with 5/8", the oil pressure might take slightly longer to get to operating pressure at start up.

if you are really concerned about it then dont use the oil cooler in the radiator and buy a small oil cooler for the engine bay.

plenty of cheap used coolers on ebay from saabs and stuff. You could even fit a small leccy fan from a motorbike for if the oil gets to a certain temp - like 85C - to be doubly sure.

if you are really concerned about it then dont use the oil cooler in the radiator and buy a small oil cooler for the engine bay.

plenty of cheap used coolers on ebay from saabs and stuff. You could even fit a small leccy fan from a motorbike for if the oil gets to a certain temp - like 85C - to be doubly sure.

A variation on that idea would be to fit a heat exchanger in the rad to water pump inlet at the engine end.

or run it without an oil cooler? :ph34r:

I run without an oil cooler with no probs but if you are concearned simply plumb a small one in the engine bay(saves a load of pipework), also if running a rad in the rear you are better off not useing a tdi rad and going for something larger like a v8 one which is a full lenght jobby which is going to give you far more cooling efficiency as you will need as much as you can get due to restricted airflow, i'm currently running a ali freelander one as it saves a fair bit of weight if that's an issue for you, good luck with it :)

I run without an oil cooler with no probs but if you are concearned simply plumb a small one in the engine bay(saves a load of pipework), also if running a rad in the rear you are better off not useing a tdi rad and going for something larger like a v8 one which is a full lenght jobby which is going to give you far more cooling efficiency as you will need as much as you can get due to restricted airflow, i'm currently running a ali freelander one as it saves a fair bit of weight if that's an issue for you, good luck with it :)

that wont be a problem. were using a tdi rad. there hugely overcooled anyway, there is gonna be so much water in the system as well. I think we will just leave the oil cooler plumbed into the back, its there now.....