Cruise control on a manual...

No reason in principle why you couldn't fit cruise to a manual as long as you select the right gear to let the cruise control pull the vehicle up hills without the engine running out of puff :)

Got cruise on mine but I have never used it unless a policeman has been following me, then it is useful to make sure speed never wavers.

The manual bit is not a problem, you just wire a switch so that when you depress the clutch the cruise control is suspeded. With a bit of inginuity with switch positions it could even resume when you lift your foot off the clutch.

You have to have cruise control fitted to know how completely impractical it is.

Guest diesel_jim
The manual bit is not a problem, you just wire a switch so that when you depress the clutch the cruise control is suspeded.

You could use the "T" piece off of a Td5 defender/disco which has the pressure switch mounted on the clutch pedal. that way it would look "factory" and probably be more beefy than a microswitch mounted on the pedal itself.

im pretty sure they did cruise control as an option on manuals too, so a look in a parts book or similar may solve the clutch problem.

mind you almost everyone i can think of with cruise control on a TDi cant use it as the vaccum pipes spilt in no time so you'd probably find youself fitting broken equipment.

im not a fan of cruise controls either, driven a few cars with it & never seen the point. if the car is designed properly then when your sat in it the most comfy place for your right foot is on the pedal.

Right,

Pulled the dash apart this moring and discovered that it is an "Econocruise" unit. Anyone know about them?

When I've managed to remove the whole loom I'll report back on what sensors etc it uses...

You have to have cruise control fitted to know how completely impractical it is.

I can understand... get onto the motorway and no matter what speed you set your CC to, there will always be someone travelling slightly slower than you... meaning you have to override it all the time to slow down or speed up to overtake.

Or, you'll pull in behind someone who obviously doesn't have speed control and find their speed fluctuates by 5mph+/- ... meaning you're either catching them, or not travelling quite fast enough to overtake. And if you boot it to pass them, when you settle at your speed again they will overtake you.. and then back to 5mph+/- :angry:

My company car is a diesel, with a manual gear box, and I do loads of motorway driving. I absolutely wouldn't be without cruise control. I use it on the motorway to stop my leg and ankle getting stiff and tired - makes the journey much more relaxed, meaning that I can concentrate better on the road. I use it in the roadworks 50 zones which always seem to have speed cameras in them, otherwise I start with good intentions, but the speed just seems to creep up especially when the road is quiet.

I have put a rudimentary cruise control onto my 200tdi defender as well. I attached a bike gear change lever to the top of the gearstick, and then ran the wire down to the connection for the accelerator on the fuel pump. Now when I want to keep a constant speed without the foot getting cramp, I just wind on the correct amount of throttle with my thumb. Also works as a normal hand throttle when I want a slightly higher tickover, for example when I'm winching.

I fitted a cruise control kit to my manual 300 TDi Disco about 5 years ago.

The kit came from Conrad Anderson and cost around £150, although I can't see the model I have on their site now so I assume it's been replaced.

It's connected to the tacho cable on the rear of the alternator for the engine speed, although there were about 3 different ways to get the pulses the unit needs to maintain a set speed.

It has a cut-off connected to the brakelight switch on the foot brake and you can get an extra micro switch that looks after the clutch. It also drops out if the speed changes by 15% in either direction from the set speed.

It's only real drawback is that the actuator works off the vacuum pipe to the servo, via a T-piece, and takes a while to kick in, but other than that it's a godsend on the trecks from Inverness to Billing! :D