Fuel pumps for Hotwire EFI

MogLite

Okay - I've had enough with fuel pumps on MogLite.

I've got through 4 already and it hasn't even left the garage yet :angry:

Bought a couple of fancy Subaru pumps, they are for in-tank fitting - so no good

Swapped them out for a couple of Vauxhall EFI pumps - they burnt out in double quick time, becuase they need to be gravity fed, I didn't have them setup like that.

I can't use a Rover in-tank pump, because I've got a fancy fuel cell.

Fridge's suggestion of a carb style pump, feeding into a swirl pot, then onto a high-pressure pump is a little too complex for me, especially as the fuel cell has two outlets for pumps, so I'd have to double up some of the fittings.

The pump(s) are fitted to the side of the tank, and therefore cant be gravity fed, and need to be "pushers" rather than "pullers"

Some of the motorsports catalogues seem to have suitable pumps, but at £250 a pair, I'd like to investigate other options for an in-line pump before splashing the cash.

As far as was aware all 'Out of tank' pumps are gravity fed in so much that they require a constant feed of fuel to them to ensure they work correctly and do not 'burn out'. Buying an expensive motorsport pump may not be the answer. I have a motorsport pump on my racer and it too has to be mounted so there is a constant flow of fuel into it - at all times - i do not use a swirl pot but have a sump and baffles on my fabricated tank which provides the 'head'.

The pump is therefore mounted underneath the tank and gets covered in poo all the time.

A low pressure pump to a swirl pot might the best answer - not too space hungry either.

Cheers

Nev

Andy,

I have just acquired an apparrently rather sexercisey low-pressure fuel pump, yet to collect it but if you want to borrow it you're welcome.

Given the level of stupidity you're likely to get MogLite into I'd be wary of gravity-feeding a pump - racers can do it 'cos they're never pulling the fuel in one direction (EG round a corner) for long enough, but if you park yourself on a 45 degree slope for half an hour you may encounter problems. Unless you build a very pointy bottom into your fuel cell :(

I would have thought you'd appreciate that sometimes you can't beat a good old fashioned suck :ph34r:

Andy

What sort of flow and presure do you need,i will prob have pumps in the workshop that will do the job.Even if you go the "motorsport pump route" i could get them you alot cheaper than that.

Chris

Chris - its standard Hotwire at the moment, I'm not too sure of the figures - something around 35PSI ISTR

Flow rates, again not sure, something that would cope with Hotwire + Nitrous in the future :D

Having to gravity feed a pump is going to be a pain.

The reason I quoted the motorsports one, is they were quoting "head" in theor specifications.

Me being me - I assumed this was how high they would "suck from", but I see it might be how high they can pump the fuel :blink:

i use this for pumping fuel from my sill tanks to the main tanks:

ebay

it sucks well, and doubles up as a replacement fuel pump.

the bowlers use these as well.

Orange - yeah I did see those, but they look exactly the same externally as the Vauxhall ones I killed.

I've asked the seller if they'll suck - where is the smiley for finger crossed ?

Mine on my EFi S2 is like that on eBay and is mounted on the inner wing and is also above the tank...........I have had no problems (about the only thing that aint broke!!)

I wish I had of got a Pump with screw connectors rather than jubilee clip type as it worries me all that pressure.............

R

Orange - yeah I did see those, but they look exactly the same externally as the Vauxhall ones I killed.

I've asked the seller if they'll suck - where is the smiley for finger crossed ?

i transfer fuel from my sill tanks with one of those. height distance is about 40 cm, inlet is from the bottom of the tank, + there are two solenoid valves in the way. have used it for a couple of months, seems to be sucking all right :D

a friend of mine used it to replace the in tank fuel pump on a RRC. removed the pump motor, put a piece of hose in there, and then attached the bosch pump next to the filter on the chassis, runs like that for the past 3 years

saw them used on a bowler wildcat, large fuel cell of about 250 l in the back, so lots of hight difference. seems like some of them to have reached dakar at the beginning of the year :P

Andy,

Provided the pump is close to the tank then most external pumps will be OK,

I have successfully used pumps from Metro GTI, MG Montego, Ford Granny, & Sierra XR4x4.

Currently I am using the ford Sierra pump…….. although I have tried all those above (coz I had them to hand) and found no difference in performance.

All you need is a pump that outputs at 40 to 50 psi under full flow …… this is then regulated to 38 psi by your fuel reg at the back of the plenum.

If you want new, then Merlin do a good selection & reasonable priced FI pumps. :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/index.php?...781455aeff5455a

However, the scrappy route is lot cheaper …….. I think I paid £30 for two (to give me a spare). ;)

My system, like yours is not gravity fed, the pump and in line filter (RR Classic) are mounted beside the 90 tank,

FUEL_SYSLarge.JPG

Ian

Andy,

On all of the motors I’ve mentioned the pumps are mounted horizontally.

I cannot see why vertical would be a problem other than issues to with wearing out the motor bearings (the thrust on the bottom bearing would be considerably more than when the unit was horizontal)….. but it would probably need to be mounted ‘inlet to the top’ ……… maybe its suck try it and see time….. :D

Ian

Guest diesel_jim

I used a montego 2.0 efi for when i had a 3.9 in my 90. worked a treat,pumped plenty of fuel even when red-lining it.

I might still have it in the garage somewhere if someone wants it?

i use this for pumping fuel from my sill tanks to the main tanks:

ebay

it sucks well, and doubles up as a replacement fuel pump.

the bowlers use these as well.

According to the seller "The EFi fuel pump needs to be gravity fed either from a tank or swirl pot. We would also suggest using a suitable pre filter to ensure the pump does not get blocked" :blink: