2.5NA -anyone still running one and happy with it?

I've got one in my overlander 110, but the problem is that its starting to breath and is down on compression. To be honest Im surprised it still runs at all-there's a fair amount of play in the pistons I discovered when I whipped the head off to have a nosey.

Turner's are doing short 2.5NA engines for £800. My existing cylinder head is a pretty new gas flowed/ported Ricardo engineered unit and has given the engine a bit more oompf even though its worn. I could get the new bottom end, cam, rockers, and oil pump and have a box fresh engine.

The trouble is I don't know anyone with a decent 2.5NA-most people have binned them by now, I know on paper they're only 67bhp when new but I don't know how much mine is producing nowadays to get a comparison.

Does anyone still have a decent 2.5NA fitted? and happy with it?

I drove an ex-MOD 110 my brothers' mate recently purchased, and boy was it the slowest thing I've ever driven! My Series III has more power out of it's 2.25 petrol :P

That said, they're a very reliable and long-lived engine (probably what appealed to the MOD, as well as the fact the squaddies couldn't get up enough speed to hurt themselves ;)).

However, £800 would buy several Disco 200Tdis so I'd probably be looking at that option myself as it's such a popular and proven conversion.

You could always find a Defender 200Tdi (should easily be able to find one for your example budget of £800). That was offered as a standard upgrade in the early days of the 90s, and it's a much easier fit I believe (can use standard exhaust etc.) although don't quote me on that!

Someone else will confirm if this is true, but i have heard it said that the 300tdi head will fit the 200 block.

Alternatively, see the thread i started yesterday on fitting a 300 to a 19J/200 chassis. A chap on LRO has designed an engine mount that will make fitting a 300 to your existing gearbox and chassis very easy.

I read that thread with the fabbed 300mount- a nice solution but Im possibly thinking along the lines of a Defender 200tdi-

I prefer to keep it as standard as possible, the Defender 200tdi ticks that box but they're getting on a bit now. The challenge would be to find a good condition low ish mileage one that hasnt been to the moon and back a few times.

or sort my NA?

I've got one in my overlander 110, but the problem is that its starting to breath and is down on compression. To be honest Im surprised it still runs at all-there's a fair amount of play in the pistons I discovered when I whipped the head off to have a nosey.

Turner's are doing short 2.5NA engines for £800. My existing cylinder head is a pretty new gas flowed/ported Ricardo engineered unit and has given the engine a bit more oompf even though its worn. I could get the new bottom end, cam, rockers, and oil pump and have a box fresh engine.

The trouble is I don't know anyone with a decent 2.5NA-most people have binned them by now, I know on paper they're only 67bhp when new but I don't know how much mine is producing nowadays to get a comparison.

Does anyone still have a decent 2.5NA fitted? and happy with it?

I ran a 2,5 n/a for two years a couple years ago. Mine was old & worn but not terminally so.

I found it fine for what it is designed for, towing trailers over rough and/or muddy terrain in low range, driving around on farmland and in forests, towing heavy trailers on the road at a slow pace, and general run-about on rural and city roads. It was also fine for Land Rover club events, which over here is mostly low-range driving in knee deep mud and the occasional sand-pit or steep gradient.

However for driving long distances at high speed on the road you should consider getting a Discovery or maybe even an Audi or something like that. But you asked about the 2,5 n/a so I assume this sort of driving is not what you intend to use the LR for most of the time.

That being said I now drive a 2,5 TD which is an improvement over the 2,5 n/a. Below 1500 rpm it feels just the same as the 2,5 n/a, the same level of torque from low down. However between 1500 and 2500 rpm there is quite a bit extra power available. This makes it possible to keep up with traffic on 80 km/h roads while towing a moderate trailer, and it can be an advantage in deep mud.