Hawkeye Vs Nanocom or Others

mel

I'm considoring taking the plunge and buying a diagnostics unit like a Hawkeye or Nanocom or any other if theres anything out there as i'm thinking that it would be better to put the money i'd spend on having my Disco put on a diagnostics unit at my local independant LR garage to find a fault then once repaired to reset it towards one.

Any opinions, experiences or recommendations will be greatly appreciated and inparticular with breference to how good, how easy to use and if they need updating and how etc.

I understood that if i buy a Hawkeye unit i get 1 lead which will do my vehicle, a 2004 D2 but if i want it to do other vehicles (i'm hoping to get a RR next year) i have to buy another lead @ about £100-120 but talking to a guy this morning at Land Rover Parts Shop.com in Doncaster about a new rear ABS sensor he said that since about 98-99 all LR's use OBD2 so it should fit everything ?

Any one know if this is so pls ?

Also, i mentioned it on a post about my 3 Amigos problems; The cheap RAC units from Argos. Has anyone got one and what are they like as if they do the common stuff they could be worth a punt or would they be a waste of money which could go towards a better piece of kit ?

Thank's,

Mark

My mate has a hawkeye with d2 unlock and I have used it and it is great does everything but sls calabration

To move to another veihicle type you need to buy an unlock key same lead will do

Only had experience of 1 other and that is auto logic far superior machine but at £7 k it wants to be

My mate has a hawkeye with d2 unlock and I have used it and it is great does everything but sls calabration

That's reason enough not to buy it I'd have thought.

Nanocoms are ok, a bit clumsy to use though. Mines already paid for itself though as I have recalibrated the sls when I fitted a new sensor and syncronised the odometer when my battery went totally flat. Both would have cost me a pretty penny I'm sure.

Nanocoms are available for £100 or so second hand, at that price you could sell it on again if/when you change vehicles.

I bought Rovacom for my RRC. It's really good and easy to use with hep files and guidence along with a great technical forum. It's workshop quality stuff though and has the appropriate price tag.

As for OBDII I've found that only the engine ECU is a standard item and for things like ABS you still need a manufacturer's diagnostic or an expensive multi-make system.

I also have a rovacom, i got it for my p38 then changed the license when i got the D2. Its a great bit of kit and does everything, also good technical forum. But it is locked to the chassis number, so can only be used on my car. To add another car i have to purchase another license, and they arnt cheap.

Mark

Currently my Nanocom will talk to TD5 and Puma. V8 will be added at some point in the future, but when is another thing.

It doesn't lock to a VIN number, it'll work with any number of TD5s & Pumas.

Along with the diagnostic stuff the Nanocom shows real time data too.

Mattia can have his moments support wise, but he does reply to questions and releases updates as and when.

• 4 months later...

That's reason enough not to buy it I'd have thought.

Nanocoms are ok, a bit clumsy to use though. Mines already paid for itself though as I have recalibrated the sls when I fitted a new sensor and syncronised the odometer when my battery went totally flat. Both would have cost me a pretty penny I'm sure.

Nanocoms are available for £100 or so second hand, at that price you could sell it on again if/when you change vehicles.

Hi,

my battery has been flat for a few weeks now. How does one syncronise the odometer? Is this something that will have to get done when the battery goes flat?

Yes, you can synchronise the odometer. I did a write up about it on another forum, but it's under body control unit (BCU) in the Nanocom. Just have a scroll through the settings and you should find it.

if you are looking at getting a diagnostic tool apart from testbook £7K which is what i have the for the home mechanic i would get the hawk eye as it is made by omitec who made testbook for land rover it does not have all the functuality that testbook has but work well.

i did offer diag training last year and did two courses to help teach people to use thir kit and understand faults and sensor outputs