OT: wireless access points

BogMonster

This is slightly relevant, otherwise how am I going to access the forum while I am on holiday? :)

I am off to the UK for about three weeks shortly. Taking my laptop with me, which has wireless networking built in.

How do the "public" wireless access points work, like pubs and bars and things. Do you just turn up and use them (is there any security, what should I be worried about blah blah) or do you have to be part of some subscription service or what?

Searched on the web and found a few likely locations near where I will be but I am a bit confused because of things like this where there are loads of "connection options" all of which mean about as much to me as Greek :blink:

Can somebody give me an idiots guide please? I only got the laptop last year and have never used wireless networking before so am a wee bit (ok completely) clueless on the subject :unsure:

Ta :)

Stephen

I think you have to pay the access point provider [i.e. internet coffee shop] for the time your connected online either when you get there or before you leave the premises, I haven't used one before so just guessing, make sure the wireless network bit on your new toy is enable & just tell it to search for a wireless network :unsure:

It ought to be complicated. But it isn't.

Turn on your wireless (on my Dell it is Function F2).

Start - Settings - Network connections.

Right click on the wireless icon and "enable" wireless. Look in your systray (bottom right near the date) you should see a red cross over a new network icon.

Hover the mouse pointer over this and it will say wireless connection unavailable.

Click the icon and it will show you which networks are available.

If you are in range of a wireless network a balloon will appear from that telling you. Click the icon and connect to the hotspot you want to use.

Some places have free hotspot access and will let you go straight to the website you want. Others will make you use a subscription service such as btopenzone - you will get a web page making you sign in. Get more details at btopenzone.com.

Yes, just like that. IME, most hotels have free wireless networks so that is the easiest place to hook up. Most public area have pay as you go wireless. You hook up and it automatically directs you to a page to sign in or pay for an account. Free is better.......

MAKE SURE you have a firewall running at all times.

Guest diesel_jim

On my laptop i run Net Stumbler which you just click to run, and it shows you all the wireless signals in the vicinity, their strength, whether they're secure or not etc.

you just pick one and it connects up.

ideal!

Lots of McDonalds have BT Openzone and other places (Starbuck's for one) have T-Mobile hotspots. They are very epensive as a short term user but much more reasonable if you commit to a pay monthly contract. Lots of hotels and bars have them as stated. Some are open access and some you pay for. Some you get a voucher (for example one hour) with a purchase. There is a scheme in Brighton to make WiFi available along the whole length of the seafront for free - I guess there must be other places too.

Less legally, you may find that driving around with NetStumbler turned on you will find open access hotspots in peoples houses, offices etc., which you can sit outside and use. I found one in Newquay while I was there last year holidaying. I think some youth/local council/church organisations provide free WiFi too.

Chris

Thanks.

In terms of security, would a fully up to date Norton Internet Security be adequate? I already have that on the laptop. It has a firewall etc. as part of it.

Looking for something free or v cheap not wanting to buy a years sub for a service I will only use for 3 weeks :)

Thanks.

In terms of security, would a fully up to date Norton Internet Security be adequate? I already have that on the laptop. It has a firewall etc. as part of it.

Looking for something free or v cheap not wanting to buy a years sub for a service I will only use for 3 weeks :)

ZoneAlarm. Free for personal use.

Chris

Chris

Stephen, drop me a PM before you come over and I'll give you a username and password for both T-mobile and Bt openzone that you can use while you are over.

Cheers

Steve

Chris

I used to use Zonealarm and then I binned it due to having all sorts of problems with the computer crashing and things. I guess there is a newer version available now though.

Steve u got mail ;)

I used to use Zonealarm and then I binned it due to having all sorts of problems with the computer crashing and things. I guess there is a newer version available now though.

Steve u got mail ;)

If you end up in Bristol at all during your visit, you'll find that the UKs largest free wireless network is in Bristol. See http://www.bristolwireless.net The local council also provide a free wireless network called "StreetNet" which covers a 3km area in Bristol city centre.