1986 '90 what brakes?

Hi,

My front brakes are shot, and I am needing a full new set up, pads/discs/callipers, the lot. The trouble is I don't know the part numbers and I dont what to order a bunch of stuff to find that the pads I order don't fit the callipers etc, get what I mean? Can any of you give me a heads up on this please as I want to get my order in before the VAT rise.

Thanks a lot

No need to replace the calipers you can strip,clean & reseal them, discs only need replacing if they are below the thickness tolerance or so corroded they are not reclaimable, pads are nomal replaceable parts anyway.

you need to look in the brakes section of the 90 parts book, the link is in the pinned thread at top of the 'request for part numbrs' forum.

No need to replace the calipers you can strip,clean & reseal them, discs only need replacing if they are below the thickness tolerance or so corroded they are not reclaimable, pads are nomal replaceable parts anyway.

you need to look in the brakes section of the 90 parts book, the link is in the pinned thread at top of the 'request for part numbrs' forum.

Thats great cheers western. There are a few reasons Im replacing the lot, let me explain... :unsure:

I bought the landy last July, and didn't know anything about them back then! Fortunately for me the rest of the landy is amazing, no corrosion, (nearly) new engine, but even then I knew the front brakes were on soft side.

On closer inspection around september time I realised that they had seized, and they looked as though they had been that way for some time (no shine what so ever to the discs, and some heavy pitting).

Emergency pit stop to a garage about a month ago when a brake like broke, the guy say the front brakes - raised his eyebrows - and recommended that I "get the whole lot sorted".

Looking at them today the discs are heavily corroded and pitted, and the callipers themselves look as though they would just crumble if they were breathed on! I bought the landy for my work - north of Scotland, forestry, out on dirt tracks the whole time. I didn't really plan to use the landy as a main get around, but Iv since been bitten by the landy bug, done it up (almost!), and sold my van. I had a scary moment in the snow the other week, you can guess what happens when only the back brakes work. :o

Cheers.

Ring paddock motors on monday. Tell them your vehicle's VIN. Ask for the parts by name. They will be able to fidn the correct parts and if they send the wrong items will accept them back. Failing that.. and aswell as really now that you're a defender owner, do as ralph says and download the parts book and RAVE if possible... Can't find the link right now..

edit: LINK HERE

For a 1986 vehicle, the parts should be:

Caliper LH: RTC3381

Caliper RH: RTC3380

Pads Set: RTC5756

Disc LH/RH: FRC7329

However, 1986 is a changeover year for brake parts (one of a few changes that occurred up to the brake rationalisation in 1990) and one can't know for sure without your VIN and even possibly axle number. Take both (if you can get the axle number) to the dealers and they'll be able to tell you what you need as they can put it in their Microcat program. Or you could download and install it and do it at home, but if you're not sure it's always best to let someone else make the mistake ;)

If you're going to this extent, I would also recommend replacing the pad retention springs/pins/whatever and the brake hoses. As well as anything else you find needs doing (brake pipes that twist off when undoing the unions etc.)

For a 1986 vehicle, the parts should be:

Caliper LH: RTC3381

Caliper RH: RTC3380

Pads Set: RTC5756

Disc LH/RH: FRC7329

However, 1986 is a changeover year for brake parts (one of a few changes that occurred up to the brake rationalisation in 1990) and one can't know for sure without your VIN and even possibly axle number. Take both (if you can get the axle number) to the dealers and they'll be able to tell you what you need as they can put it in their Microcat program. Or you could download and install it and do it at home, but if you're not sure it's always best to let someone else make the mistake ;)

If you're going to this extent, I would also recommend replacing the pad retention springs/pins/whatever and the brake hoses. As well as anything else you find needs doing (brake pipes that twist off when undoing the unions etc.)

Thats great thanks for the advice. I have checked my vin which begins AA, which means I think my 90 is a 1984-1986, so Im going to try and find the part numbers for that. Where would I find the axle number? As for the pad springs/pins, Im planning on doing everything that comes and comes with the brake units, it will be nice to finally have a stopping distance which is less then a cargo ship!

Thanks, Ash

Cheers Nick.

I have been looking through and checking numbers, and I think that the calliper I need is RTC3380/3381, which is rubbish as I cant find any callipers of that code going for less then £100. Does any one know if I can use another calliper in on my landy (83-86)?

Cheers again

Just a thought - if your rear drums have been doing most (all?!) of the braking, it would be a good idea to give them a good look at too.

Having refurbed my callipers I really would recommend it rather than buying new. Once you have sussed how to deal with the pesky retaining rings there really is nothing to it. Saves a few bob too!

Dave.

Just a thought - if your rear drums have been doing most (all?!) of the braking, it would be a good idea to give them a good look at too.

Having refurbed my callipers I really would recommend it rather than buying new. Once you have sussed how to deal with the pesky retaining rings there really is nothing to it. Saves a few bob too!

Dave.

Hey Dave. Yeah I agree about the rear drums, they have been doing most, if not all the breaking for some time now I think, I did realise this, hence the reason for taking a good few miles to slow and stop before any junction or turn! I am also using the engine breaking, but not forcing that. Its all just meaning that Im driving really ssslllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww at the moment. :closedeyes:

Having seen the prices of the callipers I need, Im gonna try and sort the callipers on it, but.....Im going to have to take it to my garage, I need it done quickly and I think that if I have a go then it may take some time!

Cheers to you all for the help so far!

It's like most things LR - all pretty straight forward until the first siezed/sheared/rounded component which leaves you with a vehicle stranded on the drive and no way to get to the parts shop!

Mines a daily driver too, you soon get bored of lying under the truck in the works car park in all weathers.

Dave.

Needs must when it comes to brakes and if you need a quick fix this tip probably won't help much, but bear in mind that there are loads of complete axles for Defenders and Discos on ebay and they often go for less than you would pay for a set of calipers bought separately.

Nick.

Needs must when it comes to brakes and if you need a quick fix this tip probably won't help much, but bear in mind that there are loads of complete axles for Defenders and Discos on ebay and they often go for less than you would pay for a set of calipers bought separately.

Nick.

So that's where all the stolen Defenders end up then :ph34r: