Drilling / Machining oil

hobson

I've got some drilling to do and am intent on treating myslef to some shiny new drill bits, but i want to preserve them as much as i can so am looking at some proper drilling or machining oil/fluid rather than the 3 in 1 oil i generally use.

can anyone recommend where to get some in sensible quantities? all i can find are trade size barrels!

The very best is RTD from Rocol. I doubt you'll find a machine shop in the UK that does not have a bottle!

I use it for cutting / drilling uber-hard or difficult materials. For everything else, I just re-sharpen the drill bit!

Water soluble oil / machine coolant / lube is very effective but you really need to drench the thing being machined to be effective whereas a couple of drips of RTD will often do better. It is a tad expensive though!

Si

for my lathe, mill and bandsaw I use water soluble cutting fluid/ coolant.

For drilling unless in the mill or lathe I use this http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/cutting-fluid/path/power-hacksaws-bandsaws-metal-cutting-saws this is cutting oil NOT WATER SOLUBLE so it wont work in coolant pumps for lathes ect as it says, (why I bought it) but works great in a squirty oil can for drilling, not so much with twist drills as i only use proper cobalt bit( unless 13mm +) but I wouldnt like to use hole saws without it!

I use cutting oil with the same sort of consistency as the Rocol stuff. As an aside, I made a drip feeder that drips the oil on to the shank of the bit, it then flows nicely down the flutes and in to the cut. A valve allows for either the odd drip, or a gentle continual flow for big/deep holes.

post-84-0-47707700-1295193413_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that searching for machining oil brings up less useful results than cutting fluid does!

Still, at least i know better what to look for. i found an old pump oil can at the back of the barn in realy good nick, dread to think how long it's been there! so going to use that as my 'cutting fluid applicator'(after a clean) i do like old tools, they just don't make 'em like they used to!

I'll try and get some of the Rocol RTD stuff too...

Thanks again :)