Nut n Bolt or Rivet

need4speed

Im intending to line my 110 rear wheel arches with 10mm soundproofing material, then fit chequerplate covers on top. Will i better fixing the covers with countersunk 4mm allen bolts or long rivets?

I have no preference of fixing, its just that given the thickness of the chequerplate and the soundproofing material, its gonna take quite a long rivet? Im not even sure if you would get a rivet long enough anyway tbh? Thoughts.

Phil

I would use aluminium pop rivets. No steel on aluminium for galvanic corrosion (there's enough on land rovers without encouraging any more). You can get them with bodies long enough to hold an inch or more material and with closed ends so the joint should be water tight. Also available with countersunk heads if you want a flush finish. They take just seconds to remove with a drill if you do need to remove the checker plate occasionally.

Thanks guys! A good difference of opinions there! Im leaning towards the countersunk bolts / nuts option.

Oh and the finished article wont look like the himalayas as there is chequerplate going on top of the soundproofing ;)

Phil

as you tighten each bolt/nut it'll still compress the sound deading material, so if you don't use a tubular spacer to stop the bolt/nut pulling the checker plate down tightly, you won't get a level surface [excepting the checker plate extermal finish]

I would fit a spacer to each bolt, so it creates a gap [10mm] the sound deading material sits in, without being crushed as then it won't absorb as much road/drive train noise,

you can make them by cutting a piece of suitable diameter tubing that has at least a 2mm wall thickness to the required size 1 or 2 mm either side of 10mm thickness of the sound deading material won't make much difference or be visible.

it would fit together like this [just a quick scribbled diagram]

post-20-0-30904200-1295381425_thumb.jpg

I'd use long ally rivets. They're the same material so no galvanic corrosion, nice looking finish and you could countersink them a little too for neatness. <div><br></div><div>If you use a steel bolt then the threaded portion will be under the wheelarch, so you'll need two people to install them. Then it'll corrode to a blob of rust in 3 years and then you'll skin your knuckles trying to remove them. And then have to drill them out, and steel's harder than ally so you'll blunt the drill bit. If you use stainless then 1) you'll find it's not good quality stainless, and 2) the galvanic action will be stronger.</div>

I'd use long ally rivets. They're the same material so no galvanic corrosion, nice looking finish and you could countersink them a little too for neatness.

If you use a steel bolt then the threaded portion will be under the wheelarch, so you'll need two people to install them. Then it'll corrode to a blob of rust in 3 years and then you'll skin your knuckles trying to remove them. And then have to drill them out, and steel's harder than ally so you'll blunt the drill bit. If you use stainless then 1) you'll find it's not good quality stainless, and 2) the galvanic action will be stronger.

won't corrode if the bolts are just [minimum of 2 threads through the nut] coated with non setting waxoyl type underseal when the job is complete

I'll be using A4 stainless nuts/bolts so corrosion will not be a problem.

Ive also discovered that you can stop the galvanic corrosion between the stainless bolts and the ally body by using plenty ptfe tape round the bolt where it goes through the body.

I would be quite confident that it would be quicker and easier to remove a riveted panel than a bolted one.in this application.

Bolts would need 2 people one inside one outside.

Rivets should easily form a waterproof joint.

Bolts will still require some form of seal.

Proper bodge done by me loads tech screws....... :rolleyes: