P38 2.5 diesel (BMW M51) engine into a series

TheRecklessEngineer

Something that's been knocking around in my head for a while now is replacing the V8 in my series with a diesel.

Yes, I know what you're going to say, but I want to replace it with something a little more interesting than a TDi :ph34r:. I make biodiesel for my daily driver (Volvo) so would love to be able to stick that into my series for extra cheap motoring.

I have access to a 2.5 diesel from a crashed P38 for cheap. Coupling to gearboxes aside, I'm wondering about the ECU for these engines. I've had a browse through the workshop manual, but typical to Land Rover, there is no mention of any immobiliser system. From what I can see from the diagrams, the only system that the engine ECU talks to is the ABS ECU.

How easy would it be to make this engine operate without talking to any other ECUs?

... I have access to a 2.5 diesel from a crashed P38 for cheap. Coupling to gearboxes aside, I'm wondering about the ECU for these engines. I've had a browse through the workshop manual, but typical to Land Rover, there is no mention of any immobiliser system. From what I can see from the diagrams, the only system that the engine ECU talks to is the ABS ECU.

How easy would it be to make this engine operate without talking to any other ECUs?

The immobiliser is part of the BECM, so I'd look at that section of the Workshop Manual (and it is the WM you need for the BECM functionality descriptions, not the ETM). After that you can decide what condition you have to replicate to give the engine ECU the all clear. Something must be possible as Jeremy Fearn uses the 2.5 in Comp Cars.

If you want a rev-counter the standard 38A one is not from the alternator, so you might have to change or modify the alternator to get a W terminal.

I'd also expect to see some connections between the engine and automatic gearbox ECUs, but again, these might be via the BECM, which was designed as a central electronics hub.

Does your engine have EGR? (Black or silver inlet manifold). Does your engine have a MAF? (part of the air filter assembly).

HTH

The immobiliser is part of the BECM, so I'd look at that section of the Workshop Manual (and it is the WM you need for the BECM functionality descriptions, not the ETM). After that you can decide what condition you have to replicate to give the engine ECU the all clear. Something must be possible as Jeremy Fearn uses the 2.5 in Comp Cars.

If you want a rev-counter the standard 38A one is not from the alternator, so you might have to change or modify the alternator to get a W terminal.

I'd also expect to see some connections between the engine and automatic gearbox ECUs, but again, these might be via the BECM, which was designed as a central electronics hub.

Does your engine have EGR? (Black or silver inlet manifold). Does your engine have a MAF? (part of the air filter assembly).

HTH

Is Megasquirt up to the job?

G.

Have you checked how happy the M51 is with bio? My freebie is the M47 (TD4) and the opinions on it vary from "it's fine" to "it will explode and destroy the universe" so I've left that option alone for now.

Megasquirt is physically up to the job, processing-power wise, but no-one's yet written the software, although a fair few people are looking at it and I'm sure it'll happen eventually. It may also require a re-spin of the PCB to suit the job at hand, but I'd imagien that would be after someone's proved it with an existing board.

Another option is the Rover L-series, not as glamarous but a good lump and should be pretty cheap to run in a Series. Disco MPI bellhousing + LT77 should do the trick.

HTH

Good question - I haven't actually seen it yet, so I'm not sure what version it is. Thanks for the info on the BECM - I've found the right section of the manual - looks like I might need to capture the codes sent from the BECM and spoof it. Or rejig the program in the engine ECU, but I think that might be more involved.

Have you checked how happy the M51 is with bio? My freebie is the M47 (TD4) and the opinions on it vary from "it's fine" to "it will explode and destroy the universe" so I've left that option alone for now.

Another option is the Rover L-series, not as glamarous but a good lump and should be pretty cheap to run in a Series. Disco MPI bellhousing + LT77 should do the trick.

Good, proper, high conversion and well made bio should be suitable for any diesel. I wouldn't trust any bought from a commercial supplier though. The M51 is a much simpler engine than what's in my Volvo (common rail fussy thing), so should be just fine.

I like the thought of the L-series though. That might be another option.

Might finish the PAS conversion before I start fiddling with engines though. :ph34r:

Something that's been knocking around in my head for a while now is replacing the V8 in my series with a diesel.

Yes, I know what you're going to say, but I want to replace it with something a little more interesting than a TDi :ph34r:. I make biodiesel for my daily driver (Volvo) so would love to be able to stick that into my series for extra cheap motoring.

I have access to a 2.5 diesel from a crashed P38 for cheap. Coupling to gearboxes aside, I'm wondering about the ECU for these engines. I've had a browse through the workshop manual, but typical to Land Rover, there is no mention of any immobiliser system. From what I can see from the diagrams, the only system that the engine ECU talks to is the ABS ECU.

I have some nifty software that removes the inmobiliser from the ecu.

If You have access to an eprom programmer that can do 8 pin serial eeprom (and can solder it out and in again as it is a SO-8 package) I can modify the file for You for free.

Then the ECU will work fine without communication with anything else.

If You are going to use a manual gearbox I advise You too get an ecu from a manual car preferably without EGR system.

i have a friend who makes his own bio diesal, which he has happy run his D38 range rover on for the last 5years, but his TD4 freelander has major paddys when he tryed it. ran rough, then the fuel pump failed. and that was half full fat diesal and half bio.he did about 100 miles on it.

anyway good luck with it.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I've now had a look at the vehicle - it was in a front ender and the crank pulley is dinged - so I'd expect the crank to be damaged too. I'm going to steer clear of this for the moment.

However, if I come across another engine then the idea I think might be a runner. I've also got my eye on a Merc OM.606. It's a 3 litre straight 6 as fitted to E300 models - 177 horses as standard, but easily capable of 200+. :D

I have some nifty software that removes the inmobiliser from the ecu.

If You have access to an eprom programmer that can do 8 pin serial eeprom (and can solder it out and in again as it is a SO-8 package) I can modify the file for You for free.

Then the ECU will work fine without communication with anything else.

If You are going to use a manual gearbox I advise You too get an ecu from a manual car preferably without EGR system.

That's very useful to know, thank you. I have a programmer that'll manage that, and I like to think my soldering skills are up to it.