defender bulkhead removal bar

Hi,

Just came across this whilst looking through fleebay and thought id share the information, if any one is looking for a bulkhead removal bar or thinking of doing so there is a seller on fleebay selling genuine landrover items for £65 plus £15 postage. Miles cheaper than the aftermarket ones and the ones where you only remove the top half. The only bits he hasn't got with them is the nuts and bolts. The item no is: 250764305506

karl

• 2 weeks later...

post-24460-0-73274100-1297726159_thumb.jpgpost-24460-0-47055900-1297725918_thumb.jpg

Well my bar arrived and i got to work fitting it. Heres a few pics of the bar in place. It gives the impression there is loads more room inside, not to mention the seats now go back further and are able to recline quite far. So at least the misses will be happy on long journeys and will be able to get her head down.

Hmm looking at some web born pictures of other bulkhead removal bars, some of the parts in the listing look sub standard, for example the end/side tubular supports should have an extra length and angel on the bit where it ataches onto the front of the wheel well, is should extend onto the seat belt/chassis bracket these apparently don't do that, the upper tubular part to fix onto the body capping doesn;t look to be included either, but I guess for what you get its a reasonable bargin.

post-24460-0-97109100-1297780967_thumb.jpg Your quite right this bar (genuine Land Rover) doesn't have a bit that extends to the seat belt bracket on the side support but it does have (Although it cant be seen in the picture) have a bracket to bolt through the top of the capping. I guess if its good enough for land rover then it's good enough for me.

• 4 weeks later...

post-24460-0-97109100-1297780967_thumb.jpg Your quite right this bar (genuine Land Rover) doesn't have a bit that extends to the seat belt bracket on the side support but it does have (Although it cant be seen in the picture) have a bracket to bolt through the top of the capping. I guess if its good enough for land rover then it's good enough for me.

Hi - looks like you have done a good job there.

I too have just bought one of these bars, though I'm not planning on fitting it for a few weeks.

Will post some pics here and on my new blog when I do (http://projectd90.blogspot.com/).

As you said I believe this is a genuine LR product.

Cheers Tod

LR factory genuine bulkhead removal bar. I can identify the parts if required.

Hi all

Anyone looking to remove their rear bulkhead and would like to dontate or sell really cheap! ;) their old bits (bulkhead) please PM me as i am looking to go the other way :D

PS its for an early def90

cheers

Kev

Hi

Thanks for the diagram I think it will prove very useful for me, if its not too much trouble, could you please provide part numbers for 9,10,12,13,14 and 15.

I know these are only nuts and bolts, but as this is structural I would like to get the right bits.

Thanks

Tod:)

could you please provide part numbers for 9,10,12,13,14 and 15.

item 9 = ALR5540 bolt torx head M10 x 30mm Qty 10

item 10 = WA110065 washer plain M10 Qty 10

item 12 = SH110251L bolt hex head M10 x 25mm Qty 4

item 13 = WA110061L washer M10 Qty 4

item 14 = SH607091L bolt 7/16 hex head Qty 2

item 15 = WA600071L washer Qty 2

Quantity of bolts maybe per side, it won't matter if you buy more than you actually need, they probably come in packs of 5 or 10, all part numbers are genuine LR part numbers.

HTH :i-m_so_happy:

Be careful quoting parts from this diagram as I'm not sure its the right one.

Microcat shows a number of bulkhead bars - all with different part nos.

The ones sold on eBay are the ones specced for the 'Tomb Raider' defenders.....

Pics of the fitting of mine here:

LINKY

tn_015.JPG

Are you not meant to have the "internal" bar Item 16 fitted also, in my thinking this is pretty critical to keep the rigidity no?

Yes to your suggestion, the complete kit would be the best/safest way to go or the Mudstuff version.

Yes to your suggestion, the complete kit would be the best/safest way to go or the Mudstuff version.

No - the image you've supplied is part of a full rollbar system. Microcat has a different image page for this bar showing no 'part 16'.

It is supposed to be a bulkhead replacement not a rollbar structure & so chassis mounts were never part of the original design.

post-16296-0-90797400-1299868236_thumb.jpg

just found this genuine LR bar on ebay, not mine

NEW BULKHEAD REMOVAL BAR/KIT~LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90/110 needs bolts/nuts, so the seller has stated.

Yup thats the same set as being discussed here. I'd put money on it being bought on eBay for £65 then marked up another £60 for a tasty profit.

That pic shows the exact same set of parts as I received.... too much of a coincidence!

Now £75 on ebay.

How much extra reclining do you get after fitted? Does the angled part of the tube still touch the reclined seat?

To get the full benefit you need to fit Mud Stuff (or similar) seat rails. I went down the Mud Stuff route and the seat goes back another 2 or so inches and the back rest reclines a whole lot further. With the raised seat rails, my legs are at a more comfortable angle (and I'm 6ft and built like a brick $h1t house!!)

item 9 = ALR5540 bolt torx head M10 x 30mm Qty 10

item 10 = WA110065 washer plain M10 Qty 10

item 12 = SH110251L bolt hex head M10 x 25mm Qty 4

item 13 = WA110061L washer M10 Qty 4

item 14 = SH607091L bolt 7/16 hex head Qty 2

item 15 = WA600071L washer Qty 2

Quantity of bolts maybe per side, it won't matter if you buy more than you actually need, they probably come in packs of 5 or 10, all part numbers are genuine LR part numbers.

HTH :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks very much Western:)

Be careful quoting parts from this diagram as I'm not sure its the right one.

Microcat shows a number of bulkhead bars - all with different part nos.

The ones sold on eBay are the ones specced for the 'Tomb Raider' defenders.....

Pics of the fitting of mine here:

LINKY

tn_015.JPG

Thanks for the guide. That is quality work especially the welding and riveted sections - and really useful for me see how some one else has done the job - Mine wont be so neat.

I am planning to leave flange of about 15mm with the old rivets in place.

I have been looking at Woolies trim for a suitable U shaped edging strip to cover them.

My 110 has a protection and performance bulkhead removal bar fitted like this;

bhrb.jpg

Sadly whoever fitted it decided just roughly going around with a jigsaw was a godd enough way of removing the bulkhead. So when I've worked through the more important items on the to do list i want to do the front of the wheel box's like yalan has and neaten things up.

It does make it alot more open and can easily reach to get things out of the back.

My 110 has a protection and performance bulkhead removal bar fitted like this;

bhrb.jpg

Sadly whoever fitted it decided just roughly going around with a jigsaw was a godd enough way of removing the bulkhead. So when I've worked through the more important items on the to do list i want to do the front of the wheel box's like yalan has and neaten things up.

It does make it alot more open and can easily reach to get things out of the back.

Totally agree that Yalan's way of finishing the job is the best, but, if done well (like the P&P bulkhead in your pic) the easier way would give nearly as good a result, especially with a bit of edging trim.

Saw these on woolies-trim.co.uk

post-8708-0-66997000-1300044323_thumb.jpg

post-8708-0-33148100-1300044332_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...