Whilst the dash is out ...

Having pulled the dash out to find the lighting fault in my loom - I'm now wondering what I could do now before I put it all back ....

I've run a 3 core cable through the bulkhead and a live from one of the headers to the where the centre switch panel will be - which will be used for my winch controls.

I keep thinking though there must be something else I can get done whilst its out .... ?

I'd quite like to fit one of those MUD vent kits but can't justify the price when I can manage with what I've got now ....

I have a plan for my dash when it's out, it involves modifying the heater piping.

As standard the heater blows into the large lower dash cavity, which then vents to the footwells (via flaps) and to the screen demisters. My plan was to channel this all through ducting. The idea being that it will remove the need to heat up and/or displace the large volume of air inside the dash :)

I can't take credit for it, someone on here had the idea, but I don't know if it's been done yet. I'm not entirely sure how it would be accomplished, but I was thinking of making a small plenum box on the inside of where the heater input hole is, then routing the hoses from that. The ones for the screen demist would go directly there (one could also split off a smaller hose for side-window de-mist, for a cheaper version of the Mudstuff kit), and the hoses for the footwell vents would head for those. A flap would need to be put in the lower feeds (or a way found of re-using the existing flaps/mechanism), or you could do away with them and fit a new system of cables and controls somewhere else in the dash.

I thought about a flap within the plenum box, enabling you to have all air at the screen (and side windows) or in the footwells.

Food for thought, anyhow.

I have a plan for my dash when it's out, it involves modifying the heater piping.

SNIP

I'm thinking the same, after working the ducting and flaps out I'll probably use some of that expanding polystyrene (or similar) two pack stuff that plumbers/builders merchants have.

Be v. interested to see what you end up doing, James.

As standard the heater blows into the large lower dash cavity, which then vents to the footwells (via flaps) and to the screen demisters. My plan was to channel this all through ducting. The idea being that it will remove the need to heat up and/or displace the large volume of air inside the dash :)

I can't take credit for it, someone on here had the idea, but I don't know if it's been done yet. I'm not entirely sure how it would be accomplished, but I was thinking of making a small plenum box on the inside of where the heater input hole is, then routing the hoses from that. The ones for the screen demist would go directly there (one could also split off a smaller hose for side-window de-mist, for a cheaper version of the Mudstuff kit), and the hoses for the footwell vents would head for those. A flap would need to be put in the lower feeds (or a way found of re-using the existing flaps/mechanism), or you could do away with them and fit a new system of cables and controls somewhere else in the dash.

I thought about a flap within the plenum box, enabling you to have all air at the screen (and side windows) or in the footwells.

Interesting reading - http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/side-window-vents-budget-132984.html

Some suppliers of suitable bits and bobs -

https://www.europaspares.com/HEATERS_and_DEMISTERS/

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Heating__Air_con_and_Ventilation,b.html

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Heater-Store/Car-Heater-Units-/_i.html?_fsub=1188045014&_sid=127741944&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Some good ideas!

I think I will look into the vent / heating idea - something to put a bit of time into. I had considered at a future point seeing if I could fit a diesel powered heater in place of the standard one, under the bonnet, and have it blow through the existing vents. Perhaps there is scope for modifying them as per Retro's idea.

I have a bulkhead liner - so pretty good for sound deadening at the moment.

What am I looking for on the windscreen wiper spindles?

I keep trying to think of what electrics I might want later on and put some wiring in for it. Seem to be drawing a blank at the moment though - I think I've got some sort of analysis paralysis.