UJ replacement

Hi

In looking for the source of small clunk in my drivetrain and have found a bit of movement in the front most universal joint.

I can't find any play in the other 3 joints.

While I have the front prop off, should I be replacing both joints or is it normal just to do one at a time?

Thanks in advance.

David

I'd personally not bother to change both ends unless worn, but I would say when you come to do the u/j , take the cups off the ends of the spider (carefully), put in the grease nipple and make sure when you apply grease that it comes out of all 4 ends. Even though it's new etc, it seems sometimes the grease has gone hard, in which case it acts like a plug. If it doesn't come out blow the passages through. I think it's a shame both sides of the spider aren't tapped for nipples, as I usually find the furthest 2 from the nipple are struggling to get any grease. Then take out the grease nipple and refit as normal.

Nigel

I'd personally not bother to change both ends unless worn, but I would say when you come to do the u/j , take the cups off the ends of the spider (carefully), put in the grease nipple and make sure when you apply grease that it comes out of all 4 ends. Even though it's new etc, it seems sometimes the grease has gone hard, in which case it acts like a plug. If it doesn't come out blow the passages through. I think it's a shame both sides of the spider aren't tapped for nipples, as I usually find the furthest 2 from the nipple are struggling to get any grease. Then take out the grease nipple and refit as normal.

Nigel

Thats a good tip, Ive never done that. ;)