Using pop rivets correctly

eds

I have just finished fitting jerry can holders each side of my 110.

On one side the stems of the pop rivet came out complete.

On the other side the stems snapped leaving part in the rivet,

What's going on?

Any clues?

Thanks

Ed

probably a slightly oversize hole, so the rivet doesn't form correctly, but it still holds the material, or poor quality rivets/setting tools.

the sealed end type [small end closed off] are better for LR's, way water can get through or past them.

"Or will they make do?"

With apologies to Cap'n Quint from 'Jaws' -

Fuel goes in the jerry can...

Jerry can goes in the holder...

Holder fits on an aluminium panel with iffy rivets and the whole lot goes across rough terrain?...

Fairwell and adieu to you Spanish ladies.... wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Please forgive me, that just popped into my head :) but in my very humble opinion you need to do a really good job with these mountings...

Roger

This information has led me to looking into pop rivets and I have found that there are endless combinations of materials and styles.

Is it always best to use an aluminium rivet with a steel stem?

Or should it be all aluminium or even stainless?

I know application is important so any guidelines would be good.

As for the rivet above it looks like I would need a special gun?

This information has led me to looking into pop rivets and I have found that there are endless combinations of materials and styles.

Is it always best to use an aluminium rivet with a steel stem?

Or should it be all aluminium or even stainless?

I know application is important so any guidelines would be good.

As for the rivet above it looks like I would need a special gun?

Most come with steel stems, you will get galvanoic corroision with steel or stainless steel rivets in to ali, but even with ali body rivets you will get a little corrosion as it is a different compound to the panels.

If it was me i would use the Ali body Steel stem Mono bolts.

As for rivet gun , a good set of lazy tongs or an air riveter will pull these.

HTH

Tony

If you're putting a lot of stress on them and putting them through the wonderfully thick, strong aluminium that landrover use for body panels, it might be worth getting some slightly longer rivets and using a washer at the back to spread the load.

thats assuming you can get to the back of the rivet to put the washer on of course....

I wouldn't like to be hanging 25 kg full jerry cans on rivets through the ally body skin. The first bump you go over they'll be lying in the road behind even if you bolt and use big washers.

Get some structure behind the panels and bolt through the holder, skin and structure.

As a suggestion you could use a length of angle running the length of the tub bolted to the top of the wheelarch box, then bolt through the skin and the angle.

HTH

Mo

On the Military 110 jerry can lockers, the vehicle's Aluminium side skin doesn't take the weight.

On the early type, a heavy-gauge locker floor sits on an additional crossmember across the chassis, with the front of the locker floor supported on a substantial bracket to a chassis outrigger-

th_JerrycanLocker.jpg

On later Military Defenders, some were boxed-in as 'tool lockers' -

th_ToolLocker.jpg

The Wolf XD type is different, it still has an additional crossmeber across the chassis, but the jerry can locker is now a 3½ sided box -

th_WolfXDLocker.jpg

With Part Numbers

Military 110 and Defender 110 -

110 Military Lockers.pdf

Wolf XD -

th_page401j.jpg . th_page402j.jpg