Tommy's farm in Wales

smokinv8

I knew there was lots of debate/issues over access to the site and the fact that the local council objected to it, but not that H&S had got involved.

Perhaps Im on my own when, I attend an offroad site and believe that what you undertake is at your own risk. Motorsport of any kind can be dangerous we all know this and as adults act accordingly with an element of self risk assessment.

If I attend a site that has vehicles speeding or attempting climbs/decents without being aware of others around them I would rather not go back than be part of that.

I attended an AWDC drive round at Broxhead Common on 27th December 2010 and was appalled at the number of spectators, dog walkers and general members of the public (family groups) just walking about the site with no care or concerns for anyones safety. I would of thought that the AWDC would of had much better control of a site. Maybe its because the land is "Common Land" and restriction of access to the public cannot be upheld, but then that makes it no safer. It was crazy and made me very uncomfortable there.

As a side note, I had heard there was another site offering offroading near to Tommy's farm. Anyone else heard this?

Hi smokinv8

Thanks for your comments about the AWDC at Christmas. I read your note with a bit of surprise. Firstly, you partly answer your own concerns. The military land is free access and we cannot hinder access of the general public. Secondly, we display the required MSA 'motorsport is dangerous signage'. Thirdly, we actively marshal our events to maintain safety both of drivers and spectators, including during recovery operations. We always consider risks and are proud of our safety record - in fact, we disappoint a few drivers because we don't allow a free for all, unlike some other clubs!! The Christmas event is the biggest event of the year for the Club.

If you have specific concerns about any questionable situations, I'd always be pleased to be contacted off forum and investigate. I am the organiser at Bordon and my Team and I are committed to safe and enjoyable events.

Regards, Hesketh

AWDC

079 70 92 63 37

• 4 weeks later...

I thought i had better post this incase no one had heard the bad news, a customer told me today and i have just checked on line and this is what i could find, our thaughts are with his family and friends and many 4x4 friends he had.

Breese. - Thomas (Tommy) Cwmderw, Bwlchysarnau, Rhayader passed away on Friday 4th March 2011 aged 69 years. Dearly loved husband of Elizabeth. Funeral Service at Bwlchysarnau Baptist Church on Saturday 19th March at 1pm followed by interment at Bwlchysarnau Cemetery. Family flowers, donations if desired to Wales Air Ambulance or Bwlchysarnau Baptist Church. Enquiries to M.Jones & Son, Funeral Directors, Llanidloes.

Gwyn Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

You may be thinking of Bernie Pugh's Tough Terrains site at Abbeycwmhir. It is really nothing like Tommy's, there is organisation, no mess, no bikes, no neglected animals and rather smaller.

Chris

Maybe that was the other site I had heard of, but looks to me like its set up for total beginners having an instructor holding your hand all the time. which isnt to my taste!

Chris, thanks for the prompt, I will leave it for a while, it allows others to draw their own conclusions!

John :)

By all means if you find my views of this wicked man not to your tasted please free free to delete my comments but please do not misrepresent my views by editing the words!!

Bernies site Can cater for all, I have even been to three winch comps there, So Yes it can cater for all , I would say ring bernie first though as he does do a lot of training there, and doesnt tolerate dangerous @rsing about, Stunning views from the top of his hill :)

Bernies site Can cater for all, I have even been to three winch comps there, So Yes it can cater for all , I would say ring bernie first though as he does do a lot of training there, and doesnt tolerate dangerous @rsing about, Stunning views from the top of his hill :)

Thanks for that, I will do somewhen then.