Difference between front and rear

Hi I have stripped two 24 spline axles to re build. Problem is I stripped them ages ago and Now can't remember can someone confirm the below please?

1) are the stub axles the same for the front and rear?

2) are the bits where the bearings sit in ( where you bolt the disc to the same for the front and the back?

3) can you use front discs on the back and vise versa?

I'm building the axles again so can't remember which goes where

These are all for a defender 24 spline axle.... They look the same but just want to make sure?

Thanks in advance

Another quick question the axles were abs and I'm making them

non abs.

The fromt is easy as I have new swivals etc

But the rear axle where the abs wire goes in is different as there is a hole. Is it ok too just pull the abs out and plug the hole with a short bolt to stop much getting in?

Thanks again

If your axles are like my late RRC axles, then the rear stub axles will have a hole in their flange for the ABS sensors while the front stub axles will have plain flanges. I would have expected the hubs themselves to be the same all around, but look for two different types and see where they fit - it'd be their thickness or wheel bearing spacing that'd be critical as to which stub axle they are fitted to, so try swapping them about on one stub axle and seeing if there is any difference in the amount of thread exposed for the hub nuts when the spacer washer is fitted. The rear hubs may have the block ring for the ABS, if fitted, which would be an easy give-away - front ABS sensing is done on the CV joint and through the top swivel pin.

The front stubs for a late model with ABS will have a needle bearing supporting the CV, the rears don't.

On the rear, when fitting the mudshield between axle casing and stub, rotate it so the hole for the sensor doesn't align with the hole in the stub, no need to put bolts in.

Thanks for your replies.

Good one on the stub axles being differnet i can see a hole in one so thats easy to tell

However the 4 hubs look indentical to me are we sure they wont fit front and back ??

Also how would i tell which discs there are for..i bought them off white90 about a year ago... maybe he will read this :)

thanks ESCAPE about spining the cover thats a good idea.