turn a 90 into a 110

I really want a 110, but my 90 has just had its gearbox rebuilt and the engine runs well and the bulkhead is in v good condition.

Looking on eblag etc for 110's seems to be a bit hit and miss, so now my current trail of thought is to get a 110 galvanized chassis and swap + add parts from my 90 then sell the bit I don't need (90 has a galvanized chassis)

From what I have worked out and seen from bulkhead and dash forward are the same so I will really just need to get a 110 tub and rear sections + new prop-shafts.

What do you think, good project? Has anyone here done this before? or should i just carry on looking for 110's

Regards, Tom

Don't forget 110 back axle, if you want it to be legal. A 110 rear prop wouldn't reach a 90 axle on the back of a 110.

I'm sure very shortly the argument will start about which of the various ways of skinning the DVLA/VOSA/SVA/IVA/VIC cat you'll need to do, I suspect the answer is that even the DVLA/VOSA won't really know what's right / least hassle and if you phoned them 5 times you'd get 5 different answers.

The least hassle option would be to buy a slightly ropey 110 - that gets you the tub, roof, back axle, props, and perhaps most importantly the V5. If you re-chassis it with a galv one at a later date, replace the crusty bulkhead, knacered engine & box, etc. is then a matter of rolling repairs to the 110 as per most LR's which are a few years old.

However, you have then taken your perfectly good 90 apart (or "Done a Will Warne" as it's known :ph34r: ) rendering it a fairly low-value rolling chassis, so you need to weigh up whether ultimately you should just sell the 90 as a complete 90 for good money and put it towards a good 110 and save a hell of a lot of farting about.

90's being popular for off-roading you may even find someone willing to PX you a 110 for your 90.

Don't forget 110 back axle, if you want it to be legal. A 110 rear prop wouldn't reach a 90 axle on the back of a 110.

I'm sure very shortly the argument will start about which of the various ways of skinning the DVLA/VOSA/SVA/IVA/VIC cat you'll need to do, I suspect the answer is that even the DVLA/VOSA won't really know what's right / least hassle and if you phoned them 5 times you'd get 5 different answers.

The least hassle option would be to buy a slightly ropey 110 - that gets you the tub, roof, back axle, props, and perhaps most importantly the V5. If you re-chassis it with a galv one at a later date, replace the crusty bulkhead, knacered engine & box, etc. is then a matter of rolling repairs to the 110 as per most LR's which are a few years old.

However, you have then taken your perfectly good 90 apart (or "Done a Will Warne" as it's known :ph34r: ) rendering it a fairly low-value rolling chassis, so you need to weigh up whether ultimately you should just sell the 90 as a complete 90 for good money and put it towards a good 110 and save a hell of a lot of farting about.

90's being popular for off-roading you may even find someone willing to PX you a 110 for your 90.

Ahh,

My mate has just informed me about Q plates as well :-s More hunting for 110's then is probably the best bet.

Didn't know about the difference in rear axles, maybe I should just tart up my 90 as its kitted for off road (winch, protection, lift)

Really I need the space with the option of overlanding later on :)

Thanks for the advice

If you're traveling alone or with one other person, a 90 should be big enough to overland in.

this is true, but I also regularly give lifts to people and this ties up the back of the 90, least with a 110 CSW i can have the seats clear and kit out the back :)

Also the extra load space would be handy if needed, suppose I could always get a NATO hitch and go for a wolf trailer conversion