Overland vehicle or not... advice needed

Hello people,

After frequenting this forum for probably just over a year now its helped me build this, what I have today:

post-20087-0-26720900-1297844795_thumb.jpg

Now I initially got this vehicle with a grand dream to build it into an Overland type truck that I could take anywhere and do anything in, I wanted it to be a reliable bomb proof truck I could travel in where and when I wanted, like I said with the emphasis on travel and green lane type activities rather than its former existence as a bit of a mud plugger.

My build thread is here My link of whats roughly been done to the truck...

I now have a dilemma... after frequenting the Land rover world for over a year, I now know that a 90 is not the most ideal base for an Overland type vehicle, but never the less there are overland equipped 90's out there...

Before I go spending more money and time on quite custom things like roll cages and roof racks I need to decided if the 90 will fulfil my needs... Now presently it lacks the capacity to hold more than 2 people which isn't the end of the world but does restrict things.

I have a ford focus as my other vehicle but running two cars is expensive, so if i did go for a 110csw then the ford would go too, leaving me with one vehicle.

I've learnt an incredible amount re-building this truck and it like my baby, but I'm at that point now where I have to work out should I break free and get a 110csw or keep my 2 vehicles and continue with an "overland" 90...

I now put it to the infinite wisdom of this forum for guidance.

If anyone has thoughts or advice it would be greatly received!

Mav

Well the key factor is, how many people do you want to take overlanding with you? If it's just you and one other, I think it could be done. I've seen it done before anyhow. Although the fact that most overland vehicles are LWB variants, even for groups of two, does say something.

Personally I think the 110 CSW is the most versatile Land Rover there is, but it's also probably the most desirable and quite hard to find in good nick at a good price. There is a lot to be said for having a normal car as well though.

If you think you can do it, keep the 90. Good to be different from every other 110 or ambulance conversion out there, and since you have built the vehicle up you know it's foibles and that should help out 'in the field'.

Chris you have so many variables to consider here that there is, no doubt, going to be a huge split of opinion here...

Ive been following your build and you have put a lot of effort, time, and as i know myself money into the build.

Yes a 110 has more space and is a bit more practical, but is it enough of a difference to get rid of your 90? I dunno. If your plan was to originally get rid of the focus in order to have 1 vehicle instead of 2, then yes a 110 would definately be the way to go in my opinion. However if you are only going to overland the landrover occasionally then i would carry on and prepare your 90 to the spec of your liking. Remember, there is also the option of towing a small overland trailer for additional camping/survival gear.

Another thing that may influence your final decision is whether or not you will regularly be carrying passengers. If its just you and a partner then the 90 is adequate. If more than 2 people then the 110 is a must.

Something that tempted me into building a 110 instead of a 90 was the state the roads are getting into - and ive no doubt they are just going to get worse and worse... Every single 90 ive driven, no matter what the suspension setup has had a choppy ride over bumps - and that really irritates me. Its probably to do with the short wheelbase? No doubt some folks on here will flame me for saying that, but i can only say it as ive found it. By contrast, the very first 110 i drove had terrafirma light-load springs and it was like a magic carpet over bumps. I loved it, and decided thats how i was going to build mine. This is just a personal taste though, and some people prefer things crashing over bumps/potholes so dont take what i say for gospel.

The focus is probably a cheap, reliable wee evreyday runabout compared to a defender so in my honest opinion it really depends on how often you intend to use the defender.

Its a tough one Chris. Only you can decide because only you knows what you need on a day-to-day basis.

I'll tell you what i think. I think that there is an itch in your brain that only building a 110 will cure........ ;)

Phil

Chris, there's a lot of good stuff on here about overlanding. There's also plenty of complete bollox.

For you and A N Other going to the Alps, Pyrenees, Morrocco etc it will be fine.

You don't NEED a roof rack, a roof tent or a roll cage or anything special.

If you are going to Mongolia or Siberia get a 130.

Otherwise enjoy your 90.

Mo (who's been around a bit in a 90) . :D

What they all said: Overland != 110 or 130. For two people, at least.

I knew from the beginning that a 90 would be tight for my needs, space-wise (and the furthest I plan to go in the truck is Europe. For now...) So I bought a 110. That said I've only filled it brim-full of kit once or twice, when I moved house (Although in fairness it's now in pieces on my drive!)

However, the point I'm making is that you've spent thousands of hours building the truck you wanted. And you now have it. And, I might add, given numerous people including myself, valuable advice based on your experience - thanks for that. So there should be very little that will require you to deviate from this and upgrade to a 110.

The only thing I can think of is if Mrs Maverik starts talking seriously about having Mini-Maveriks? What then? If you've sold the Focus you'll either be in the position of having to buy another Eurobox , or change your 90 for something larger with the correct number of doors and seats.

People go overland in Citroen 2CV's, as has been said you don't *need* X Y Z to do anything really. Down to what you want, and no-one else can tell you that ;)

Yepp it's not about what car you have as to where you can go, but actually going.

Keep the car you have, finish it and use it.

Otherwise you'll never stop dreaming and never start doing.

For now guys I think you've tipped the scales for me, I'd be stupid to move it on now after the work I've done and she's lovely to drive, I think I might have a 110 csw itch, but I think I'll keep that put away until I get a decent garage to fettle things in. I'm just going to have to get good at loading her up!!!

Again thanks for the wise words.

I'd say keep it. I had a RRC outfitted for overlanding in the US, and I used a roof top tent. Everything two people needed for weeks away fit inside, and I still had one rear seat in place!

I've a 110 commercial now, because I wanted to be able to sleep inside the truck vs. using a tent, but I was very happy sleeping in the RTT. I'd say keep your 90.

If it helps I've used my tomcat for overlanding for 6 years including Norway and Bulgaria both trips 4000 miles in sub zero temperatures only reason I've sold it two recently became three. So a 90 is no problem get out there and use it you'll love it :-)

Mike

Holy monkeys really! did you not struggle with space?

Stopo reading 'Expedition guides' in the mags, flaunting all sorts of shiny

bolt on expensive heavy tat that you NEED.

IWe used our P38 regulary, for 4 of us. Even with a 5/6 man family tent, tables

chairs, airbeds, cooking equipment, clothes, food, spares, etc we coul fit

everything in the boot and have the parcel shelf down.

Don't believe the hype. If you think you NEED a 110 to go overlanding for 2 people,

I think you would be better off reconsidering what your taking with you.

Don't believe the hype. If you think you NEED a 110 to go overlanding for 2 people,

Yeah, I've never been one for being a sheep, but I do hate being cought out so I lke to plan for the worst...!

Stopo reading 'Expedition guides' in the mags

Stop reading the mags full stop, they're full of sh*t from start to finish.

I like Tom Sheppard's stuff, if you look at the photos whather he's in a 110 or 90 or whatever there's never a lot of kit in the back, or indeed bolted to the truck. A picture is worth at least 1000 words I think ;)

All true. The magazines like to peddle gadgets and accessories and most of their staff have little idea about what they are writing. Their "experts" are usually nothing of the sort. I use a 109 for family trips. The first was around the Alps, and I carried far more than we needed, both in camping equipment, tools and spares, but even then, the roof rack was only part used and there was a reasonable amount of space in the back so the kids could get to their seats via the back door (3 door body).

A 90 is sufficient for two people. Load bay storage systems are a help, and there are many DIY solutions cheaper and more flexible than the Mobile Storage Solutions products, as nice as they are. You would have plenty of space with the 90 if you used external sleeping, but you could even sleep in the vehicle if you used Series or MoD style front seats (with high backs for comfort) as you could pop the backs out of their brackets to lower them into the foot wells and use a fold-out platform above the tub cappings and centre bulkhead into the front cab to sleep on.

If you're looking at trips with more than two people, a 90 should still cope if you use something akin to Mobile Storage Solution's shorter drawer and some storage bins or boxes on top of the wheel arches with Exmoor Trim forward facing fold-ups in the back. You'd have to sleep some externally, with either a ground tent and Roof Top Tent or ground tents only, but could fold the rear seat backs down and use the same internal sleeping platform as in the two-person configuration if you can design a fold-up platform that stows well enough to permit the rear seats. RTTs are popular mainly because they go up and fold away quickly and easily. I have one word in response to that: Quecha. Look it up on Google, particularly the 2 Seconds tents. They're very cheap, too, and don't affect vehicle performance or handling like RTTs, and you can leave them pitched on the base camp while you go out for the day, unlike RTTs, where everything needs to be packed up.

If you are sentimental about your 90, keep it. You don't need 110s or 130s for two people, even if they do make things a little easier. Have a look at "overlandwithkids.co.uk" to see a whole family driving from the UK to Aus with just a 110.

Thought I would add a quick reply to this.

As everyone else has said, if your just travelling Europe/North Africa a 90 is fine as you dont need the payload. Further afield over a long period of time and I think you need to consider a 110 or trailer due to limited payload of the 90 and the need for extra fuel and water.

you seem to know your 90 intimately which is an excellent start for an overland vehicle as you know which noises to ignore, and which to take note of. you stand in better sted than people buying puma's and driving across the globe in them.

With the 90, storage and organisation is key. I have looked at tons of options over the years and I feel what I have is the best solution for my needs, but everyones needs are different.

take a look around our site for more details: www.siroccoverland.350.com

Ps. we now have a sankey for our trip to Siberia and Australia... couldn't bare selling it and buying a 110 :lol:

G

If you are sentimental about your 90, keep it. You don't need 110s or 130s for two people, even if they do make things a little easier. Have a look at "overlandwithkids.co.uk" to see a whole family driving from the UK to Aus with just a 110.

I see they subscribe to the "buy 110, spend £10,500 with Foleys, drive to Australia" overlanding methodology.

I think 'building' and fitting out the vehicle yourself is a much better, not to mention cheaper, way of doing it.

I see they subscribe to the "buy 110, spend £10,500 with Foleys, drive to Australia" overlanding methodology.

I think 'building' and fitting out the vehicle yourself is a much better, not to mention cheaper, way of doing it.

They are quite open about being novices when they started, and Foley's did a good job of preparing the vehicle. The point was that they have driven as a family of four across Europe, Russia, Mongolia and China in a 110 - not a 130 with huge racks and a trailer. They wanted to see the world on their own schedule, and have had the courage to do it with young children. I think your criticism is wholly unjustified and unfounded.

Yes, and I applaud them for doing it. They've achieved a great deal during their trip, without a doubt. It's just not the way I would do it, and not the most efficient way as far as I can see!

But if they've got the money to do it like that then who's to stop them? Keeps companies like Foleys in business anyhow :)

Yes, and I applaud them for doing it. They've achieved a great deal during their trip, without a doubt. It's just not the way I would do it, and not the most efficient way as far as I can see!

But if they've got the money to do it like that then who's to stop them? Keeps companies like Foleys in business anyhow :)

They saved hard for it, but wanted to do the trip while the kids were still young enough to enjoy it, not mope about and whinge as surly teenagers. They didn't have the time or knowledge to slowly build up a vehicle by themselves, not previously being "Land Rover people". People like us have an advantage - we already have years of vehicle experience and knowledge, and the contacts and ability to adapt our vehicle accordingly.

They didn't have the time or knowledge to slowly build up a vehicle by themselves, not previously being "Land Rover people". People like us have an advantage

This is what most people forget about. Most overlanders use a 4x4 as a means of transport to make the most of their agenda. They dont care if its a 110 or a 70 series, its a means to an end for them as their main objective is to travel/explore.

Likewise many landrover owners are not travellers and just want to drive their landy abroad for the fun of it whilst having little or no appreciation/time for culture, people, religion etc.

these are 2 extreme examples but you can see where each camp comes from.

I have the utmost respect for Anna and her family. To sell your house and throw caution to the wind (almost) to follow a dream demands respect. They had little vehicle knowledge before setting out and I dont think they were overly well travelled either. To head off on your own (mostly) across China and down through SE Asia says it all. most people dream and say "yer, I will do that", but how many people actually do?

anyway, this is getting offtopic! sorry :P

G