turbo?

voevod

it only seems to do it under load,when I'm booting it up a hill,or on the flat,but not at idle,even when I rev the engine at standstill...I mean it could be that it's meant to sound like this,I've had nothing but trouble with aftermarket gaskets and this is the first genuine one that's been fitted to ma 110.However if me daughter didn't get all the tissue that I put in the turbo inlet aperture leading from the intercooler(to keep stuff from getting in),could this noise be caused by tissue stuck in the turbo? :unsure:

Turbos whistle a bit when under load, and you'll hear it inside (often a slight warbling whistle), but if it's really loud (and even, like a kettle's whistle), then an air leak between the turbo and inlet manifold is the likely cause.

seems to be on inlet side,but I've tightened everything properly.I noticed a little exhaust gas escaping from behind the turbo,but not pressurized enough to make this noise.If any tissue was stuck in the turbo,I assume it wouldn't spin smoothly,but it runs fine and the vanes are spinning freely,although the front of the turbo remains coolish,whereas the iron work is roasting as ever.It's just that this particular noise sounds more mechanical than just air escaping.Certainly doesn't seem to be down on power...just don't want to destroy my turbo!!! :rolleyes:

Any remnants of tissue would have been macerated, ingested, incinerated and exhausted. It's not that. A bad gasket on the back of the turbine housing could cause a whistle; it'll certainly have a detrimental effect on the housing itself as the hot gasses will erode it. Fix that leak asap.

cheers for that,I thought it might have been stuck inside somewhere...if it's the gasket at the rear of the turbo,I think it's a thin metal gasket?Just taken it out for a run and drove quite hard,bit of a burning smell too.I remember how difficult it is to loosen those damn pinch bolts as well...happy days :rolleyes:

Hi there, i had a similiar screeching noise like yours described.

it turned out that the wastegate flap inside the manifold (it cant be seen inside a 300 manifold, even with it removed)

was loose very slightly from its fixing pivot that opens under certain boost pressure. the exhaust gas was escaping past it causing this screeching like a bearing was giving up or air leaking from inlet manifold gasket etc.

i had to get a second hand manifold and turbo. no fix for it.

hope this helps and gives a different idea on things

I retained my def manifold and turbo for this disco engine,so looks like I'm going to have to put the disco turbo/manifold on...oh joy.Thing is,the only thing that's changed is the manifold gasket and I sprayed the manifold with h/r paint,I treated it like fine porcelain once I'd taken it off.I'm going to give it the once over again in the morning,see if there's anything that I've missed...noticed that the oil feed on top of the turbo,the banjo has only one copper washer,at the bottom...there's no copper washer directly under the bolt-head.This was taken off/put back on by someone else "trying to help"...this wouldn't interfere with the flow of oil to the turbo would it? :rolleyes:

seems to be on inlet side,but I've tightened everything properly.I noticed a little exhaust gas escaping from behind the turbo,but not pressurized enough to make this noise.If any tissue was stuck in the turbo,I assume it wouldn't spin smoothly,but it runs fine and the vanes are spinning freely,although the front of the turbo remains coolish,whereas the iron work is roasting as ever.It's just that this particular noise sounds more mechanical than just air escaping.Certainly doesn't seem to be down on power...just don't want to destroy my turbo!!! :rolleyes:

It sounds like a faulty inlet gasket.

I retained my def manifold and turbo for this disco engine,so looks like I'm going to have to put the disco turbo/manifold on...oh joy.Thing is,the only thing that's changed is the manifold gasket and I sprayed the manifold with h/r paint,I treated it like fine porcelain once I'd taken it off.I'm going to give it the once over again in the morning,see if there's anything that I've missed...noticed that the oil feed on top of the turbo,the banjo has only one copper washer,at the bottom...there's no copper washer directly under the bolt-head.This was taken off/put back on by someone else "trying to help"...this wouldn't interfere with the flow of oil to the turbo would it? :rolleyes:

It won't help and will probably leak at some point.

The hole in the Banjo bolt will not line up correctly with a washer missing but I doubt it will be so far out as to seriuosly impair the oil flow. But if you weren't getting oil to the turbo it would have seized up by now.

right..I started off with the g/box and discovered it was quite low,so drained it and filled it with fresh dex11 and topped up the t/box,took out my intercooler and flushed it,but the noise was still present..I dogged up the turbo manifold bolts to the maximum I dare and two of the inlet bolts went a bit further as well..if after tomorrow the noise still persists I'll smear some exhaust putty on the manifolds and put them back on.Is it ok to use this manifold again,as it's only been on for 24 hours or so since I put it on? :)