Hindhead lanes

DrRob

Another reply following my offer of "LR4x4 labour services":

"The repairs to the surface are likely to cost in the region of £40/50,000 and will need to be done by contractors for safety reasons.

However, the offer of assistance is greatly appreciated and we will bear it mind for other byways.

I appreciate that there will be resistance, and anyone who wishes to, may object and those comments will be included in a report to Waverley Local Committee.

The remoteness of the Byway makes it very difficult for it to be policed. With the level of irresponsible and illegal use of the byway a seasonal TRO would not protect the byway. Once the repairs are made, the sort of irresponsible use that the byway currently gets could result in the byway simply being badly damaged again.

Would you like your comments included in the initial report to Waverley Committee?"

Another reply following my offer of "LR4x4 labour services":

"The repairs to the surface are likely to cost in the region of £40/50,000 and will need to be done by contractors for safety reasons.

Now what was I saying? :hysterical:

The remoteness of the Byway makes it very difficult for it to be policed. With the level of irresponsible and illegal use of the byway a seasonal TRO would not protect the byway. Once the repairs are made, the sort of irresponsible use that the byway currently gets could result in the byway simply being badly damaged again.

Now in my experience, the byways that attract the hooligan brigade are those that have seen little, or no maintenance for so long that the damaged terrain becomes a magnet for them.

A properly repaired surface represents far less an attraction to those that believe green laning is all about getting stuck in huge holes. Fix one problem and the other fixes itself - and less policing requirements are thrown in for free. I believe this should be viewed as a damned good investment.

It would be nice if they could state what the 'Safety Reasons' were, as without clarifying it makes it look like they are just hiding behind the phrase. To have legitimately come up with 'Safety Reasons' I would imagine a full risk assessment would have been performed and they should easily be able to come up with more information on the safety issues involved without having to undertake any more work than to look up some documentation.

If we knew these reasons we might possibly be able to come up with a solution that still allowed a working party, thus saving us money... as at the end of the day the money is coming out of our pockets in one way or another.

Hmmmm.

Thanks for your work DrRob! :)

Reply:

We have not conducted a Risk Assessment for volunteers on this particular byway. This is because large plant machinery will need to be used for the repair works, and there are going to be substantial amounts of imported material, which could be dangerous. The companies that we use for such repair works will have strict health and safety codes. It this case due to the nature of the repairs, it would be a lot safer to use contractors. The repairs will cost in the region of £25,000 not the £40,000 I miss quoted below.

Repairs do seem to have detered some irresponsible users, however it would appear that some of the fun on Thursley 503 is to drive up the banks which attracts that element who may cause damage to the surface further down the byway.

We currently consult the 4WDC and the Range Rover Register, as well as the Surrey Byways User Group (made up of 4x4 drivers, motorcyclists, etc). But if you know of any other 4x4 interest groups that would like to stay informed, please do let me know.

I will keep you informed of every stage of this process and when the report is ready for the September Local Committee.

Having just walked from Haslemere to and around the devil's punch bowl.

I can say that currently boat 503 on the pdf map has a TRO with width restriction of 1500mm and there is a metal gate and posts forming the 1500mm gap where it joins boat 21A but the gate was open allowing wider vehicles through.

There is no sign of any changes on BOAT 500 yet, this is still open (no signs or barriers at the Hindhead end or where it rejoins the old A3 lower down the hill. There was also 2 normal cars down it at Gibbert Hill.

There was a temporary TRO on new and old bit of road that joins the old A3 to to boat 501 (the old bit from the small car park there was closed off, the new bit had freshly laid tarmac on it and I did see a motor biker use it). I did not read and details on the length of this TRO so it might be over with now for the new road as the surface has been laid on the new joining bit.

• 2 months later...

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED - THURSLEY BOAT 503 TRO

The Surrey County Council has now published its notice to apply a permanent TRO to Thursley BOAT 503. The notice, together with SCC's reasons, can be viewed via their website www.surreycc.gov.uk Objections to the proposed order should be made before 12th December 2011 and I believe the 4 Wheel Drive Club is posting a sample letter that can be sent (note that club objections simply count as a single objection). Even if you have no intention of ever driving this lane, it is important to act now and object to yet another SCC TRO.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it amazing that until recently objections could be made by email, now they have to be made by post, whilst contractors tenders can only be made by email!!

Having fought long and hard with SCC over their abuse of the byway network and the TRO, their failure to maintain, take action against those who abuse the byways and their total ignorance of "Making best of Byways" (a document they helped write) I feel they will do as they please and everyone using four wheeled vehicles can go to hell.

Any work they do to the Gibbet, will decimate it and turn it into a road you can drive in a Noble, its what theyve done to the byways on the Downs. This is the reason its really being TRO'd, it will ensure it doesnt become a cut-through for Hindehead residents.

This byway has always cost you paint, and often body damage, but you knew that (as youve walked it first) and you never left the byway because it was "too hard" or "would damage your vehicle" if thats the case, then dont drive it.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on the lanes around Hindhead aside from Gibbet Hill one?

Might bomb up there tomorrow for a look-see and report back. Will start at Thursely end and drive south towards Youth Hostel - obeying any temp TROs if relevant

Update:

Don't refer to the Highways Agency PDF maps online - they are wrong - according to SCC not ME!! :excl:

Gibbett Hill / High Button / 503 (you choose your name preference) is still TRO - as we know already. Don't go near it!

Summary from SCC:

They are all open with the exception of Byway 503 known as High Button, which runs north east to Roundels Cottages.

Byway 500 is open and should be used with care as it gets multiple users. The old A3 is having a layer of top soil and other landscape workings on it, and will no longer be in use.

If you drive down 500, you will be able to cross the old A3 (this section is open for those crossing) and use either 500 or 501 past the youth hostel.

There you go.....be good and obey the law and green lane conduct so the rest don't get a TRO! :rtfm:

Happy days...

:i-m_so_happy:

Use the SCC website - interactive map and list of TRO.

Any abuse and I'll report you :P

I was planning on using the scc site, but if they say it's wrong, what chance do we have. Useless

Problem I find is that these lanes have names or numbers that don't appear to be listed, so I hope scc site has grid refs

Hope to do some in Hampshire as well as it is my birth county. Much good there?

Andy

Ps I dont plans for abuse, we get a lot here also.

• 2 weeks later...

Went this am. Lots of changes to old A3 :o All lanes open except High Button Lane (Gibbet Hill) which has the width restriction TRO - big metal gate thingy! Short stretch of tarmac links the 2 lanes on west side of old A3 - obvious when you are there. Did the "Steps" (Ridgeway Farm lane) from W to E but could not get up the last steep bit in the RR - holes caused cross axle and got very close to a wall - old 80" trialling skills kicked in :i-m_so_happy: . Suggest doing E to W (downhill) but eyeball it first before driving - lane is not for newbies :unsure: .