spot lamp wiring

hi all, i'm fitting some spot lamps to my defender project. 4x spot lamps and 2 fog lamps. as regards the spot lamps im want them to be multi functioning. i want them to come on when i turn on the main beam . but also i want to be able to turn them on and off manually as well whether or not the head lights are on. does anyone know of a wiring diagram or is able to educate me on how to wire some thing like this up.

thank you very much for your help everyone much apprieciated.

chris

hi thanks for reply.

iv looked at the diagrams, the only part im going to be struggling on is being able to turn the spot lamps on by a switch inside the vehicle, as well as getting them to opperate when i operate the heam beam switch. i.e id like to beable to turn my spot lights on by a switch when my main head lights are on dip. as well as them coming on when i operate the high beam. if that makes sence.

cheers

chris

You want a three-position switch. It connects a central pole to one of two other poles in each of the on positions.

The centre pole you attach to the lights (or the relay powering them). The other two poles, you attach one to a feed that's powered by the high beam and the other to one from an ignition-switched live.

So when you put the switch in position 1, when the high beam activates the switch also activates your lamps. And in position 2 a feed is provided to them permanently, giving you the 'override on' facility. The middle position would be off :)

You want a three-position switch. It connects a central pole to one of two other poles in each of the on positions.

The centre pole you attach to the lights (or the relay powering them). The other two poles, you attach one to a feed that's powered by the high beam and the other to one from an ignition-switched live.

So when you put the switch in position 1, when the high beam activates the switch also activates your lamps. And in position 2 a feed is provided to them permanently, giving you the 'override on' facility. The middle position would be off :)

FridgeFreezer's post in one of Ralph's links shows how to do this -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=46876&view=findpost&p=429818

I presume the plan is to have a pair of spots and the pair of fogs on the roof, and the other pair of spots on the front of the vehicle? That will give the best overall use, the fogs not being used for low visibility conditions but for giving a wide beam pattern off road to help spot tree branches, ditches and so on while the roof spots give the long range illumination off road, filling in shadows of the headlights with their raised positioning. I would mount the fogs outboard and the spots inboard.

The three position switch idea is a very good one if you are determined to have the roof lights controlled by the main beam - roof mounted spots create a hell of a lot of glare from the bonnet and are a real nuisance on the road. You will also get stopped by the police if you use them on road, though their legality/illegality is uncertain, and the sheer hassle is enough to make using them on road punitive, regardless of any fines or "producers" you get hit with. They're only ever useful off road, so you need them to be separately controlled to switch them off. The three way switch would enable you to have them fully off, fully on or "auto", connected to main beam.

However, I'd recommend keeping things simple and having the roof lights run through a two way switch (and relay), simply on or off. It's a legal requirement to have a dash warning light to show the roof lights are on, but in practice you'd never be under any doubt at night. Front mounted spots are a different matter, and I have mine controlled by the main beam with no separate switching. They don't need an extra warning light as the blue "main beam" dash light does this already.