Fitting rear seats in a 90 for the kids

Hi all, I've posted this over on Pirate too, so some of you may have already seen it. All input is welcome though.

I'm looking at buying a 90 for fun off road duty, maybe some comps in the future, 7S, playdays etc. The main stumbling block though is fitting rear seats for my 2 year old son and 3.5 year old daughter. My son will be in a 'Group 3' booster soon as he's very big for his age and my daughter already has a Group 3 booster. So far I see my options as follows:

After market rear bench / inward facing / front facing inc. all Exmoor options. I've ruled all these out as they can't be used with any car seat or booster and don't really offer enough support or protection in my opinion.

Factory Puma forward facing. Seem to be relatively cost effective, but would require tub mods.

US style bench bucket seat or twin child size bucket seats. Good protection and support when used with 4 point harnesses, but a grey area is that UK law says all children under 12 / 135cm tall must use a booster and doesn't address what happens if the whole seat is designed for children only. Accessing the seats could be difficult, but I feel seats designed for kids and no boosters must be safer off road.

Finally, Gremlin suggested on Pirate fitting a LDV minibus bench seat with built in 3 point belts. This would seem the most sensible balance so far.

Thanks for the replies, I've read all the stuff on Exmoor seats and that's why I'd ruled them out. I'd also read the stuff on fitting Puma seats and it seems one of the better options.

What are people's thoughts on the US kid seats; Kid Bucket or Bench Bucket? Both options would be easy to fit (if not cheap), give good support and protection and I've seen loads of rock crawlers in the US loaded up with kids in these seats. I can't find anything to say they'd be illegal in the UK other than the rule on using Boosters.

Don't think I'm trying to use inappropriate seats and risk my children, quite the opposite, I see these custom built and approved child seats and wonder why nobody uses them in the UK. They seem the ideal solution.

I for the life of me can't understand why manufacturers don't make rear seats with adjustable seats and belts to eliminate the need for boosters. The US seats sound perfect have you spoken to some one at VOSA if you can get it in writing to police are powerless. I'm really interested to see where you end up. I've just bought a set of freelander seats to go in the 110 as I don't like the way the booster seat fit with current seats.

Mike

Just throwing ideas around, here, you understand, but did you consider rear facing? I also wonder what the regulations re booster seat are WRT rear facing seats.

What I had in mind was the back of the seat against the bulkhead behind the rear seats. I've always felt that rear facing seats are safer, as in the event of a crash into something the body is forced into the seat, no risk of submarining, whiplash, lateral pulls on shoulders/hips from seatbelts.

Here is a website - it is a promotional site so bear that in mind:

http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/rear-facing-basics/

I've plans to put a par of fold up rear seats in my 109 SW build (on indefinite hold). I've found a pair of fold-ups from a jap car and will be fitting them behind the mid row seats, once they've been rebuilt with defender XS materials. These hang out of the side of the vehicle, and fold down into a receiver on the load bed floor.

Anyway - it's just an idea.

The US seats sound perfect have you spoken to some one at VOSA if you can get it in writing to police are powerless.

Talking to VOSA is a good idea, I've looked in the IVA manual and MOT manual and there's nothing in there to prevent the use of these seats, only the issue of the child seat law. That is the law says all kids must have a booster if under 12 / 135cm and these seats clearly dont need to have the booster to make the seat belts work safely.

Just throwing ideas around, here, you understand, but did you consider rear facing?

Yes, rear facing sounds like a good idea for all of the reasons mentioned, I just feel that it's not nice for young kids. I feel they'll be too isolated from me and I wont be able to talk with them, pass them things etc.etc. For older kids I think it's a good idea.

Talking to VOSA is a good idea, I've looked in the IVA manual and MOT manual and there's nothing in there to prevent the use of these seats, only the issue of the child seat law. That is the law says all kids must have a booster if under 12 / 135cm and these seats clearly dont need to have the booster to make the seat belts work safely.

Yes, rear facing sounds like a good idea for all of the reasons mentioned, I just feel that it's not nice for young kids. I feel they'll be too isolated from me and I wont be able to talk with them, pass them things etc.etc. For older kids I think it's a good idea.

I'd have thought the opposite, after all you would be closer to them. The noise of a 90 would make having the kids right behind you a benefit, your head is right beside theirs, so they could hear you easier. Admittedly they can't see you, but as you'd be facing the otherway, anyway.

Fix up a stationary mock-up and try it, before you dismiss it.

We have fitted Renault Espace type IV rear seats in the back of my brothers 90. They have integrated seat belts and come with rails so can be easily removed or slide into another position. The seats are very safe and have isofix system.

They fit just between the wheel arches and the rails can easily be bolted through the floor woth a big, thick support plate underneath the car.

The seats are not cheap (at least over here in Holland). Another advantage is that the kids sit a little higher so can see forward as well.

Another option might be the rear seats of a Discovery (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190519035362&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT). Don't know if they will fit.

Bidding has ended but maybe you can buy them somewhere near to you.