Where is the oil coming from?

After my first off road trip ever (which was fantastic) I got home to find oil all over the front wheel.

I looks like it coming from behind the plastic hub cap.

post-25128-0-22449500-1303058611_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me is likely to have failed?

Thanks!

David

was the cap fully fitted or at a angle ? if the latter then it's either been removed by someone or dislodge as it's been rubed against something,

is the cap intact ? -- no splits in it.

the oil is from the hub/axle case, it's normal to have oil at this point.

also check the 5 driving member bolts are tight & their spring washers are present one under each bolt head.

Fairly normal. Be thankful tah you do have oil there. At least now you know the halfshaft splines are getting lubricated.

Incidently if you are knocking those caps off. Then the halfshaft is moving to far out of the drive flange.

If the flange and the halfshaft splines are both in good condition. Remove the flange. Put a few touches of mig to the halfshaft where the flange would butt up. File the weld so the circlip is tight to the flange.......

Thanks, if that's the only problem the 25 year 90 has after today I'm very pleased.

The cap is cracked.

Is this much oil normal?

post-25128-0-35566900-1303062527_thumb.jpg

Thanks

David

Yes, quite normal & good for the splines on both items. a new hub cap is needed & before fitting it, warm it in hot water to help it fit on easier, dry it off & stuff a blob of wheel bearing grease

or EP90 in it the fit, this will keep the splines happy & give them a long life.

wire brush around the breather connection to remove any dirt/rust then unscrew the breather connection from the axle, blow through from the axle end with a airline [if you have a compessor] or footpump that will dislodge anything in the tubing, then reconnect.

Apart from the split in the cap, that looks pretty healthy. Pre-300Tdi axles are supposed to have wet splines, and this confirms that you have kept the axle topped up. Dry splines wear much faster, which is something that the 300 Tdi and later axles suffer badly from. On those later models, many people remove the stub axles' seals and fit the (smaller) plastic end caps with RTV sealant to keep the splines lubricated.

Oil or grease from the swivel housing will make its way along the shaft to the splines, and since you have no need to remove the drive flange and clean the splines (unless you have had dirt ingress), then you needn't worry much about adding oil to the cap before fitting. A smear of RTV sealant around the lip of the cap would guarantee a seal, but these older types are normally alright fitted dry.