whining transmission

davidlandy

the other week my transmission started whine and its getting progressively worse

I noticed the rear diff pinion had masses of play in it so sorted that, new ujs on the rear prop.

the noise happens around 30mph and gets louder the more throttle is applied, it sounds like its coming from the tunnel area.

is it more likley to be the gearbox than the transfer box?

or how can i tell which it is thats the offending bit ?

many thanks for your help guys

Is the noise still there in low range in the same gear/throttle as you be at 30 in high range?

if the noise isn't there then its not gearbox, but if it still is there it is most likley, but I suppose it could also be transfer box input.

If your rear diff pinion had lots of play in the crownwheel and pinion gear may be worn, causing the noise. Try removing the rear prop and going for a drive, then you should find if its that.

HTH :)

hi guys

the transfer box oil was like choclate so changed it and noise is still evident.

it happens around 35mph, in certainley 3,4,5th gears. the noise varies on throttle application so gets noiser for example if accelerating in 4th at 40mph rather than 3rd if that makes sense.

drove it without the front prop on and it still made the same noises

so took a chance and slung in another transfer box , and guess what still the same which only leaves the gearbox i guess.

losing the will to live with it now!

is a disco and defender r380 gearbox the same or interchangeable?

drove it without the front prop on and it still made the same noises

so took a chance and slung in another transfer box , and guess what still the same which only leaves the gearbox i guess.

losing the will to live with it now!

is a disco and defender r380 gearbox the same or interchangeable?

have checked &/or replaced the diff & main gearbox oil to eliminate them for the possible noise making ?

Hiya,

I have just cured the same problem on my 1987 90, in my case if was the diffs, there was a little play in them, but I put up with the noise thinking it was from the 33x12.5 tyres. Finally I gave in and bought 2 new diffs as the front was leaking now quite badly and taking the wheels, halfshafts etc. out whilst on axle stands on my sloped drive wasn't my happiest of choices. But it did the trick and has made the drive superb, feels like a new truck.

Paul