AWDC XL Challenge Round 3

najw

Just two weeks to go before the scheduled XL Round 3 at Uplands Coppice.

Entries close 3rd May but if there is no improvement in entries by next weekend I won't waste my Bank Holiday Monday going to recce the site and we will be forced to cancel as there is not enough income to cover event costs. :angry:

Although it is a series you don't have to do all the rounds and there must be someone left in the Midlands who hasn't competed at Uplands yet - actually on second thoughts maybe not :P

Neil, i mentioned in a previous message that unfortunately i'm away for this one at work. We will be at the following on 12 June @ Wern Ddu. In order to do this i'm spending 4 week at sea instead of 3 and swapping that weekend with a co-worker so we can compete.

Good luck, and i hope the entries come in for 3rd May.

Gordon

Well Neil's comments are a mirror copy of threads written last year on the XTC when numbers dwindled - Last year we all gave the AWDC the assurance that the XL was the way ahead - I seem to remember a poll where very few people wanted XTC and Challenge and the general opinion was a season of 6-8 challenge events and no one wanted to do the XTC so it got scrapped.

Apparrently CHALLENGE DRIVERS wanted to do a season of CHALLENGE EVENTS so the XL was set up.

Surprise surprise, numbers are now down and by the look of it, the AWDC event organisation team will soon give up organising events for the Challenge drivers.

Looking on other forums, there is now much talk of the future of events - cost, fuel, travel to events are all sited as reasons why it is becoming less well attended.

Sadly you the CHALLENGE members are sending all the wrong messages to the club - one minute you want a series of events in a challenge format - then you do not stick to the diary and support the club. I appreciate that circumstances change but without competitors, the organisers and the sponsors get ****ed off. The dates for this year were set in Feb 11 and have been well planned.

Sorry to sound off but this is how WE managed to scrap the XTC series which had the makings of a brilliant form of off road motorsport that could appeal to all disciplines. Maybe the XL is next.

Neil - Can we run an XTC at WERN DU in Jun 11!!!???

Regards Chris Bowler

I can confirm that this event will definitely go ahead.

Entry list at this stage looks like this...

Number Driver Co Driver Vehicle Class

2 John Barrie Gee Wayne Gotheridge Tomcat 1

3 Jonathan Smith Alan Webb Land Rover 90 3

4 Richard Nicolson Nick Bolt Land Rover 90 2

5 Andrew Woodhouse Mark Whetton Team Gunit Trayback 2

8 Kevin Pocock Dan Elias Range Rover 1

13 Paul Lundstrom Matty Slinger Toyota Landcruiser 3

14 David Cornwell Tom Salt TBA 2

15 Adam Henvest Chris Jones Land Rover Discovery 1

16 Bob Smith Dawn Smith Land Rover 3

17 Bert Smith Dan Smith Land Rover 2

Entries still open until Tues 3rd May at the latest.

Chris - I'm afraid Wern Ddu is highly unsuitable for an XTC :o :o

Given the last post by Neil, I take back my comments and clearly in the last 4 days entries have come in that make the next round of the XL a viable event - good

Once again Sorry to cast doubt on the level of interest in the XL

Regards

Chris Bowler

I wouldn't be Chris, with no disrespect to the 10 that have entered, your comments were spot on!

Hopefully those that are coming will all thoroughly enjoy themselves, just as those who entered the first 2 rounds did.

Full results now posted

HERE

Rain on the saturday morning and all night before the event certainly changed the game somewhat. Standing and walking was near impossible so driving must have been even worse.

A low scoring event as we recc'ed and planned for bone dry conditions.

Nevertheless everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and I am not aware of any of the upside down antics that the site has developed a reputation for - not even from Dan Elias.

Really pleased with the way it all worked out and the site - thanks Bob!

fantastic day, im completely shattered now !

i could barely stand up all day it was a nightmare, i even ended up scaling the rock face on section 4 just to get a good tree to winch off.

shame play was ended 3 hours early for us or else we could of racked up a few more points.

well done neil and the team for setting up yet another brilliant day.

thanks to bob for the land also.

dan

fantastic day, im completely shattered now !

i could barely stand up all day it was a nightmare, i even ended up scaling the rock face on section 4 just to get a good tree to winch off.

shame play was ended 3 hours early for us or else we could of racked up a few more points.

well done neil and the team for setting up yet another brilliant day.

thanks to bob for the land also.

dan

what did you break dan? did you keep Barry on his wheels all day then?

Full results now posted

HERE

Rain on the saturday morning and all night before the event certainly changed the game somewhat. Standing and walking was near impossible so driving must have been even worse.

A low scoring event as we recc'ed and planned for bone dry conditions.

Nevertheless everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and I am not aware of any of the upside down antics that the site has developed a reputation for - not even from Dan Elias.

Really pleased with the way it all worked out and the site - thanks Bob!

IIRC it has been 7 weeks since we last had rain so it was certainly good timing and it made the site more interesting and allowed us to have a decent although slightly small bonfire.

Some interesting sections and one or two I wanted to try but didn't quite get time, we boiled up at 10.30 and then had the truck on fire at 11am but managed to find temporary solutions which lasted the day.

Thanks to Neil and the marshalls for their time and efforts.

Next time we bring the tractor over to the site to help the vans etc off the field I will put the post knocker on for Barry Gee, we have plenty posts, in fact there is 38 acres of em :D .

Great weekend!

We had a few problems as did everyone I think..... Thanks to Dan and Bert for the help at the end of the day!

Some very good sections! some took some extra thinking about because of the density of the trees and the width of the truck!

The special stage was fantastic! Can we have the times please Neil? Shame we clipped gate 9 and lost 50 points!

Big thanks to Paul Church for co-driving and supplying front winch, Kev Pocock for supplying the truck and Ross Wotherspoon for supplying rear winch!! biggrin.gif

Well Done to Neil and the AWDC team!

And yes it stayed on its wheels, well right side up! rolleyes.gif

Dan

Great weekend!

We had a few problems as did everyone I think..... Thanks to Dan and Bert for the help at the end of the day!

Some very good sections! some took some extra thinking about because of the density of the trees and the width of the truck!

The special stage was fantastic! Can we have the times please Neil? Shame we clipped gate 9 and lost 50 points!

Big thanks to Paul Church for co-driving and supplying front winch, Kev Pocock for supplying the truck and Ross Wotherspoon for supplying rear winch!! biggrin.gif

Well Done to Neil and the AWDC team!

And yes it stayed on its wheels, well right side up! rolleyes.gif

So who's got some pics then?

Dan