defender rear shocks

Hey All,

Hopefully a real easy question just before i do anything too daft!

Discovered last night the rear shocks on my 2003 defender csw are wrecked. they are pro comps esp 9000 ( or something like that). Pulled back the gaiter and both sides are rusted to death and theres an oily like film that smells lurking. so guess thats the seals gone?

The driver side is worst, the top bush has completely gone and clunks.

So new shocks time.

The question is can i just change the pair of shocks? Springs look ok and less than 50 thousand miles on them, or would i be better just doing both?

It does run a 2 inch lift so was wondering about replacing with terrafirma big bore ones unless somebody can suggest better option?

Its not a competition or challenge set up, just lots of often heavy towing so reasonably hard set up i think best.

Thanks for all help

Davie

Given the improvement in handling they've given to my D90, I can wholeheartedly recommend Bilsteins. Not cheap, but definitely worth it - they're sensibly engineered [the rear ones have a proper Metalastik-type bonded bush in the upper eyes, not the cheap rubber-cotton-reel-with-a-tube-pushed-through thing the OEM dampers (and many replacements) have].

I don't know if Bilsteins are available in a compatible-with-2"-lift version; for high-speed stability when towing a lift's the last thing you need!

Never had any problems with the De Carbon's I fitted to the 90 about 6-years ago.

The shocks they replaced were actually almost brand new (genuine) units but I fancied fitting gas shocks and I have to say they improved the handling quite a bit by making it a bit firmer in the corners. They also do +2-inch units for lifted vehicles.

:) much happyness that i can keep the current springs, especially since i will need tyres before winter - just read the latest lro and saw the prices of the bfg muds ooooommmgggggg expensive or what!!!!!

So i got offered the terrafirma ones for just under 40 quid each today, seems like a real nice price cause i cant find any better.

Now just to have a lil read up on old man emu, any opinions on these?

Thanks

Davie

I recently upgraded to OME on the front of my truck, replacing a 2+ yr old pair of Procomps. The difference is chalk and cheese.

The OMEs are much more planted on the road and just so much nicer to drive :). All I need now is to get a pair bought for the rear too!

The build quality of them is great, they just feel nice and solidly built.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

:) thats them fitted, got a front and rear set.

First impression of the big bore plus 50mm ones are wow they are large! Seems to handle very nicely and feels a lot tighter. Will post up after some more miles.