Inverter (12v)

stuck

Gents,

I've been looking at inverters for recharging gps, phone, lap top etc along with occasionally powering a grinder / drill / compressor.

Have decided on a 1Kw unit, the mega spendy ones offer full sine wave output, ones half the price offer Quasi sine wave output.

For what I need it for will the quasi sine wave do or will lap top / gps have a hissy fit?

Cheers,

Mick.

I got a 1kW inverter for the truck, didn't bother going for the fancy sin wave ones, just one from maplin. Works with everything I have plugged into it (laptop/phone/camera chargers, soldering irons/loghts) and I can power everything I could ever want from the truck (well, apart from a welder but thats not really going to happen :rolleyes: )

I felt it was the biggest I could get without spending silly amounts of money

I'm willing to bet a 1kW inverter won't run a grinder happily, just as a 1kW generator won't. You need to budget about 3x the power rating with these things when running big inductive loads like that.

Best bet is 12v chargers for your gadgets (work anywhere not just in your car with the inverter) and then weigh up how's best to do the remainder - for those occasions you really need to run big power tools away from the mains, would a big cheapo generator be better or would investing in cordless or 12v powered tools be a better option? Why do you want/need to run a grinder in the middle of nowhere?

When I looked at the inverter for camping, the biggest regular load was a hairdryer (wife + 2 daughters !). So I got a 2kw quasi-sine one.

It also runs drill, grinder, and just about manages a hot air stripper for heatshrink, though only one at a time !

Regards

Richard