Stuck Out in the Dark, Headlight Problems

Ahh help please I was out in Wales the other night turned the truck off then when I started her again I had no headlights anymore

The sidelights work and I can flash full beam but nothing happens with dipped beam on or locking onto full beam

I've checked the fuses and bulbs both appear fine

I was just wondering if there is any other common failure points :(

It's a 90 300tdi standard lights and switches

I actually had exactly the same problem on Friday in my Def 90 V8. Finally removal of fuses, spraying with contact cleaner and refitting solved the problem.To be honest I was not expecting that contact cleaner would help since the contacts looked ok, but it worked...

Had this a while back, and it was the head light relay. It's the left most, or 2nd last in the fuse box. Mine just needed to be cleaned up and reseated.

As above, check the main lighting switch hasn't melted and the dim-dip relay, if you have one. If you do, it's best just to bypass it.

My fault was very intermittant. I drove around for about 2 months, with no column shroud or fusebox cover and multimeter and wiring diagram :angry::ph34r:

Thanks for all the quick replys

But still no light and still confused :(

Basically I've tested the switch with multimeter and that works all fuses are fine the yellow relay in fuse box clicks so I assume that works and the pink relay behind binnacle clicks but I don't know what this ones for!

Also sidelights work but light up the main light bowls a little :s then on dipped setting only sidelights work

Where would I find the end of the cable to the lights so I can test if it's that?

Thanks tom

Sounds like the dipped beam relay to me. The pink one behind the dash.

It supplies power to the main headlamps at a lower level when the sidelights are on. It can be bypassed I believe by joining two wires together, but I'm not sure which ones exactly. I'm sure I've seen a post on the forum about it though!

the yellow relay in fuse box clicks so I assume that works and the pink relay behind binnacle clicks but I don't know what this ones for!

Don't assume the relay is ok just because it clicks. That only proves that the coil is OK but tells you nothing about the state of the contacts.

Nick.

Just a quick suggestion - I think its worth checking all your fuses and giving the fuse connections a quick rub - I have found they are prone to corrosion and poor contacts which can give rise to all manner of electrical failures.

I now use petroleum gel on the fuse end and contacts to prevent the corrosion and get good electrical contact.. Seems to be working so far....

You relay could be okay - but you power supply fuse may be blown or have poor contact.... cheaper than a new relay if its root cause....

Sounds like the dipped beam relay to me. The pink one behind the dash.

It supplies power to the main headlamps at a lower level when the sidelights are on. It can be bypassed I believe by joining two wires together, but I'm not sure which ones exactly. I'm sure I've seen a post on the forum about it though!

yep, pink relay is the dimdip.

Bypassed by removing it and joining pins 2 and 8. Both wires should be the same colour - blue / red trace.

Thanks for all the advice guys

It seems the cause was that the steering column switch was knakred so got a new one

But still have a very dim light in main bowls when sidelights are on I'm not sure if it did this previously to the problems so is this normal?