New uk / eu tyre law - noise end of decent off road tyres ?

I've heard grumblings about the new quiet BFG's being worse than the old BFG's off-road.

For one I don't think VOSA have snipers on motorway embankments measuring tyre noise (or exhaust noise, or chequerplate coverage, fluffy dice dangle or anything else for that matter), and it's also unlikely that people will stop selling MT's just because they don't meet C&U - most of the tat people fit to their trucks wouldn't meet C&U if the factory fitted it, but you can still buy it and drive round with it. I suspect the more aggressive tyres will just lose their "E" marking or whatever but more than likely retain their (US) DOT approval or similar which last time I looked means you're still allowed to fit them in the UK even if you can't sell them explicitly for road use.

• 7 months later...

From what I can see I am exempt with a 1955 motor but I won't be able to find any suitable tyres anyway!

We can all use remoulds but I was told that Fedima are not remoulds as they are retreads does this count (hope so as i see they do SAT copies).

Marc.

Well the best thing you could do with an Evurrrrgh is cut that stupid roof off and throw it away, but it now just looks like a normal big convertible car (which I suppose is what it is anyway).

Probably sell loads of them, but not to me.

I've heard grumblings about the new quiet BFG's being worse than the old BFG's off-road.

i was planning on replacing with BFGs till i was at a RTV with someone with them fitted his truck was stopped every time because of the tyres(some one on sats were doing better)

i was planning on replacing with BFGs till i was at a RTV with someone with them fitted his truck was stopped every time because of the tyres(some one on sats were doing better)

I'd be interested to know about this too. I've got the old MT pattern in a greenway tyre at the moment, which generally works well for my needs. I was previously thinking about replacing them when they wear down with a 255 85 16 BFG. But I'd rather have something of similar ability. I've read oppinions on the KM2s going from superb to rubbish.

There doesn't seem to be much of a selection in 255.

I'd be interested to know about this too. I've got the old MT pattern in a greenway tyre at the moment, which generally works well for my needs. I was previously thinking about replacing them when they wear down with a 255 85 16 BFG. But I'd rather have something of similar ability. I've read oppinions on the KM2s going from superb to rubbish.

There doesn't seem to be much of a selection in 255.

One of the very few other 255/85 options is the Toyo MT http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/open-country-mt

44.png