France Getaway

need4speed

Ok so not strictly LR related but im planning a 3day stay away in france. Will be driving there via eurotunnel.

Just looking for recommendations / advice / things to avoid etc from people who have been. Where is nice / scenic etc. Must include taking in sights of Paris etc. Will have only about £400 - £500 to spend on accommodation.

Any ideas?

Yes, We booked one night camping at this place on the way home this year http://www.campingcampix.com/welcome_eng.htm we only booked for convenience as it was handy to our route home but it was a lucky find that i would use again if i wanted to be near Paris.

The site is near the village Saint-Leu-d`Esserent,just north of Paris and a short train ride away. The site is set in an old quarry,great facilities and they do chalets within your budget. Open fires allowed too! er not in your chalet though.

Hotels or camping?

If the latter, France has a large number of good quality municipal camp sites which have in my experience always been clean, well spaced and good value.

My favourite part of France is probably the South coast, and the mountains just inland from there. Millau is a favourite town of mine, several nice campsites (used to stay in one called Les Rivages) and plenty to do with the nearby gorges, grottes (caves) etc. Plus the stunning bridge itself to gawp at. The Pont du Gard is a good day out too, that's down nearer the South coast.

However, France is big and 2-3 days probably isn't enough to get down that far without spending half the time in the car there and back. If you want to include Paris then I'd stick to Northern France. Still plenty to do around that area. If you're into WW2 and general military history then check out Le Blockhaus d'Éperlecques near Saint-Omer. It's one of the factories that the Germans used to build and (if it hadn't been blown to hell by the Allies) launch V1/2 rockets.

That's about the limit of my experience of France. The autoroutes are superb of course :)

Normandy D-Day Beaches (Omaha, Gold etc) and the Museums would be my advice. US cemetry, Pointe d'Hoc (bomb craters!), Arromanches (Mulberry Harbour)...lots of stuff...

Bayeux D-Day Museum and British cemetry over the road too...

Lots of campsites around there too...

:)

Down near Biarritz is very nice. A lovely mesh of French and Basque influence, particularly the food. The Parque Natural del Señorío de Bértiz is just over the border and is fantastic but also nearby you have wonderful long beaches and some cracking hilly country around Hasparren. Bit of a drive though...