Brake/ Reverse Light Fuse Blowing on 300TDi 90

I have a 1997 90 300TDi CSW.

It has developed a problem which blows Fuse 17 for the brake lights and reversing light. The circuit works fine when the vehicle is stationary, but Fuse 17 blows regularly on a journey. The wiring is standard, with a trailer socket, and I have the standard 15 Amp fuse and standard lamps.

I therefore suspect that a 12v wire is intermittently shorting to earth.

Is this a good diagnosis ?

If so, are there any well known areas of the wiring loom where people have had this happen before, so I can check them first ?

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

Twice had similar things - both times it was the loom inside the chassis rail. I 'bypassed' the offending section. Starting at the multiplug in the engine bay, identify the naughty wire then run a new one to the rear via the vehicle interior... Worked for me

I also had the same prob with my 90 which has the round style reverse light and it was the terminals under the bulb in the bulb holder shorting together, it was hard to fault find as it only shorted whilst the bulb was in so when looking without it in it seemed fine :rolleyes: as already said I'd disconnect the reverse light and see if it still blows to rule it out.

Starting with the easy solution, I pulled the console fuse box out, and a small bolt dropped onto the gearbox tunnel. How it got there, I have no idea, but it seems to have cured the shorting !

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Richard

nice easy fix & ultra cheap too, probably dropped by a previous owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting with the easy solution, I pulled the console fuse box out, and a small bolt dropped onto the gearbox tunnel. How it got there, I have no idea, but it seems to have cured the shorting !

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Richard

Unfortunately the gremlin returned. Plan B - reversing light switch (easier than chasing wiring shorts).

I unplugged the switch, drove for a couple of days and the problem did not return. New switch installed and a week later the problem appears cured.

Thanks again to the forum, I could have spent hours trying to track down the fault.

Regards

Richard