Front prop shaft bolts, removal and steel type?

Hi all, I was grovelling under the LR today with much swearing for seemingly little gain (sound familiar) , trying to fit a new rubber gaiter to the front prop shaft, I got all of the bolts undone on the prop bar one, which I managed to round off.... nut splitters methinks.... anyways, I've a couple of Qs, as per the photo below, is this the correct way round for the bolts that connect the prop to the output from the transfer box? strikes me as daft seeing as you can't actually remove the bolts, and would it be an issue if I were to cut them all off and fit them the other way round?

are they a special high tensile steel too? my guess is that they probably are and I'm sure it'll say on the head of the bolts once I clean it off.

lastly, when filling the sliding joint for the prop shaft with grease, noticed it coming out of the end of the shaft where the UJ attaches, shoulf it be doing this? I'd have though that end would be sealed and the grease'd come out where the other part of the prop connects to it....

6181948539_306ea0c47f_b.jpg

DSC_0574 by danebrewer12, on Flickr

to replace the bolts, you have to remove the flange from the axle or transfer box depending on which bolts are wrecked, to do your just cut the bolt with a hacksaw to get the prop off.

the bolts are 8.8HT

more info & part numbers in this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=66030&hl=%2Bpropshaft+%2Bbolts&fromsearch=1

Guest wunntenn

Mine are the same way round as yours. I've had them off several times and having lain there pondering it numerous times I've assumed that this is a design (safety) feature to ensure that in the event of all of the nuts coming off the bolts, it cannot easily allow the prop to drop.

As far as I can recall grease comes out of mine just as you describe so I think it must be normal.

interesting, but the front prop shaft bolts come out easily, as the bolts can slide out of their holes in the drive flange (of the diff casing) can't see it being much of an issue being the other way round, esspecially as the heads of the bolts are shorter than the nuts in the first place

thanks again chaps!

If they were fitted the other way and a nut came off would it be possible for the bolt to come out and get jammed in the yokes of the prop leading to more damage?

Also with it captive in this way even if the nut is off it will still provide some strength to the joint (assuming at least some of the bolts still have nuts on).

From memory there is also a ridge on the transfer box flange that should have stopped the bolt head from turning, however Land Rover changed the size of the head so this doesn't work anymore...... but still another possible reason for the direction of installation.

Anyway it's not that bad a job removing the flange to put them in the 'correct' way.