ZF 4HP22 vs LT95

eastw77

Hi, I have a 1988 classic and I have been offered an LT95 gearbox to stick in it. I was wondering if you thought that this would be an "upgrade" over the ZF 4HP22 auto I have now.

There's nothing wrong with my box at the minute but I was abit put off by the auto when I bought it and said I would change it out but now I'm kind of used to driving it icon_rolleyes.gif .

"If it ain't broke...don't fix it". Several things to consider with the LT95, it's still only 4 speed, the transfer gearing may not be suitable for RR if it didn't come out of one, you'll need to fit a clutch pedal, you'd find it quite "industrial" in operation compared to the auto....

As much as I'm a fan of manual gearboxes (I even swapped engines on my P38a's just to have the best engine mated to the manual), I think in this case keeping the ZF would be the wiser choice. As said, the LT95 still only has 4 gears and converting to manual takes considerably more work than the other way around.

Good choice :)

I did a lot of reading and found the LT95 didn't like snatch towing in reverse! Which was pretty much what I had seen in my box :o Bomb proof going forward though ^_^

I'm offroad only, but I'm loving the V8 and auto. With good quality oil the ZF4 can take some abuse. I've seen off both front and rear diff crosses with mine. I did the front one while stationary, so plenty of low down torque :huh:

I actully converted mine from manual to auto because it was't very nice to drive with the manual, lots of snatch in the manual & you had to know how to drive it for it to be smooth. Since fitting the auto, it is 10 times better & the auto suits the V8 a lot better in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...