broken 90 AGAIN!

evening all

if you havnt allready gatherd that my mother red 90 has broken again..

nothing to with the engine this time... makes a change.. been good since i changed it..

the gearbox has lost drive.. all gear. clutch feels fine.. props good, theres a slight grinding when in gear..

im convinced that the bearing have failed on the input shaft in the gearbox.. i just want a second opinion..

i think if the bearings fail on the input shaft the hilical gears will jump out causing no drive on the leyshaft?

correct me if i am wrong?

cheers

sam

P.S its a defender R380 box

boro: nothing happens in diff lock.. tyred all gears and all ranges..

farmerboy: i hav wondered if its splines in the shaft.

cwazywrbbit: i didnt think of the bearings on the input shaft in the transfer box.. if it is that then there nice and easy to change arnt they lol.

western: thats true.. did forget about that.. my land rover skills are getting a little rusty now i havnt got my own to fix everyday.

mickeyw: yeah i agree with you on that.. i thought that if the bearing fail on the gearbox input shaft.. because if you take the gearbox casing off you then can remove the input shaft.. that is with ease thought lol

neil: i also did wonder if the clutch of gone.. but the clutch at the peddle feel fine.. so yeah like they said.. best to check the transfer box inout shaft before going guns blazing striping the gearbox out lol

cheers guys for the help.. most of you rememberd what i forgot lol

You can to save a few quid replace just the input gear with a cross drilled one as they have longer splines than the non drilled one (at least mine did) so will work on the un-buggered part of the R380 output shaft. Obviously it won't last as long as replacing the gearbox but mine has been running like it for about 8000 miles now with no noticeable increase in transmission slack and others have run them far longer.

Anyway just a thought if you don't have time and money to do the gearbox swap at the moment.post-25689-0-26584100-1318334673_thumb.jpg

This is what I am running on with no problems .... yet....[rapidly searching for some wood to touch]