Kitting out my new D2 for greenlaning.

gilloverland

So I sold my 110 and am now the proud owner of a quiet, comfortable, warm and dry discovery.

At the moment its completely bog standard, hasn't even got a towbar. I'm wanting to be able to use it for greenlaning but I dont want it to look like an off road monster.

What stuff would you recomend and why? - I'm thinking at a minimum it needs front and rear recovery points and I've ordered a central locking diff cable kit.

I've got around £900 to spend so what should I spend it on thats REALLY needed?

I replied to this post a few minutes ago but it appeared not to upload. Apologies if it appears twice.

I learned very quickly that you have to loose the bottom half of the front bumper before the terrain looses it for you.

The part with the fog lights in is not reinforced and breaks very easily. Mine shattered on the drivers side and forced me to trim the remainder away. Having done that I have to say it doesn't look too bad. If you look on some of the American web sites you will find that the Disco 2 is very popular off road and loads have the bumper trimmed down.

Fitting the diff lock cable is good as long as your box has the external nipple to operate. Although, you will find the traction control is better than you think.

You should not need to do anything if you are traveling "green lanes", any Land Rover is capablle of doing with any modsification....and if you are going to places that you may require recovery then you shouldn't be there or you should improve your driving skills.

My old RRC and now my disco drive the lanes without any mods and had/have still the high speed road tyres fitted.

If you are going "off roading" as mentioned in the post above then of course you will have to modify your vehicle to tackle the terrain you intend to encounter.

best thing id recommend is log onto www,thed2boysclub.co.uk as per this site which has given me lots of ideas and help so has the d2boys site and you will see some very nice d2s kitted for lanes that look very nice with out looking like total off roaders, deffo worth at least a look mate, id recomend a fella called John aka monkiephone on there take a look at his thread upto the point of fitting the ARB bumper if you want inspiration. HTH

disco 2 is excellent offroad as it is, fitting a centre difflock will be the icing on the cake. Diff lock and traction control will make it very good indeed.

chuck some nice all terrains, or even a mild mud terrain and it will rock along any greenlane quite happily.

as for the advice about leaving the bumper - nope. Ditch it. Lanes like stanage edge will remove most of your lower bumper very quickly.

I highly recommend TP4x4 are gorgeous and give it a fairly standard look whilst giving it some real beef

0020.jpg

i'd also be tempted to do a HD rear bumper too, as the D2 has a fat a$se and can drag a bit. And get a front diff guard for those accidental clonks against rocks. Cheapo clamp on guard should do the trick (well it has for the past 10 years on my 90!)

then spend some money on a remap and go enjoy!

I agree with the post above. My D2 has done loads of green laning, support truck work in Romainia and the odd light excursion on play day sites. It is fitted with a slightly cracked front bumper and 255/75/16 AT tyres. I'm planning on taking it to 7 Sisters in November with no other mods. The only other addition i'd suggest is a snorkle as mine has ingested plenty of water into the airbox before.

If you need more then that you shoudln't be on the greenlane.

You should not need to do anything if you are traveling "green lanes", any Land Rover is capablle of doing with any modsification....and if you are going to places that you may require recovery then you shouldn't be there or you should improve your driving skills.

My old RRC and now my disco drive the lanes without any mods and had/have still the high speed road tyres fitted.

If you are going "off roading" as mentioned in the post above then of course you will have to modify your vehicle to tackle the terrain you intend to encounter.

Never been green laning in Kent, your lanes must be very well maintained to be able to drive them with ease.

I have been laning for years ( never ever off piste and never needed recovery ) but some of the lanes on Salisbury plain are challenging to say the least. When I shattered the bumper it was on a green lane and the wheel swallowing pot hole had already been driven over by a 90 and a Suzuki SJ.

The bumper on the Disco 2 is much lower than the RRC but even the RRC contacts the ground. Its not as weak as the Disco.

As for the "off roading" you quote I only mention it as a source of inspiration.

Thanks for all the replies.

I took it on the 'stake road' in the Yorkshire dales on Sunday, the first climb is a bit rocky but I'm very impressed. The traction control worked wonders as it was wet and slippery. I think it is very capable but some of the lanes I like (stanage edge for example) are very rocky. Also I believe that recovery points are a must for any proper off roader. That bumper looks gorgeous - does anyone know how much they are? And is it the same as sold by extreme 4x4?

I'm thinking now along the lines of that bumper (above), a couple of diff guards from QT, rock/tree sliders and a snorkel - Has anyone fitted one of those £100 safari copies - Are they any good or should I get the genuine thing?

Just a couple of observations. That bumper is very nice but is quite pricey. Better to cut for the moment because you are going to remove it at some time to fit your dream bumper.

Make sure your diff guards are actually for the D2 because standard clamp ons do not fit.

I would go for genuine Safari because the template is very accurate and it is a one hit only cut you have to make in a very expensive wing.

If you like to drive rocky lanes I would suggest a good steering guard like the southdown with built in recovery points.

Lastly depending on wheel size fitted a decent set of A/T's . If it has 18" wheels the choice is limited so Grabber A/T 2' .

If youve got a d2 bumper with foglights, headlight wash etc. Then do NOT cut it! I sold mine on eBay for £400!!! As for protection yes diff guards are worthwhile, I wouldn't by one of those non branded snorkels, but that's just my opinion. The centre difflock is a very worthwhile investment, and some decent Tyres. After that just enjoy yourself and as you go you will find little bits and bobs that you want/ need.