Poor Adhesion Of Etch Primer

JeffR

Been refurbishing the load area of my 110 and I am having awful problems getting the etch primer (Tractol 729) to stich to the aluminium.

Metal was prepared as follows, keyed using a sanding pad, degreased then wiped with the thinners supplied with the paint, primer applied with a roller and left to dry foe a min of 4hrs, normal primer applied, left to dry then top coat applied.

The result is as per the photo below:

post-25095-0-59022900-1320066805_thumb.jpg

Where am I going wrong?

The paint is new (arrived Friday!), I have been doing a bit of an experiment today and found that where the primer was very thin (see thro) the adhesion was excellent, were it was thick adhesion was carp! So gonna try thinning the primer down and painting a door with it this evening....... Thats if I can get that black paint new panels arrive covered in off. Watch this space....

The etch what we use at work is like pee, and run's like hell if not sprayed properly.

The only reason etch primer does not dry or adher to the ali is grease.

Is the primer from the filiform corrosion resistant type? Try washing off the small piece and spraying it again. Preparation is the key to a brilliant end product

One thing is for sure be sure to use the right spraying mask cause of the chromates in etch primers.

I was using etch primer this morning, as said above it is very watery but we just brushed it on. Left it half a day then put a zinc primer on it. If i were to finish the job properly tomorrow i'd be putting on a high build, the same the next day and then 2 finish coats.

However we've run out of high build hardener and that's going to be a minimum of a week till delivery, so we're gonna skip straight to finish to get the job done ! LOL.

. Thats if I can get that black paint new panels arrive covered in off. Watch this space....

I don't know about replacement panels but if it's really hard to get off it could be electro- static applied paint which is very tough primer and the main reason 10 year old mondeos still look new

In the 70s a 10 year old ford was a pile of dust and 4 tyres

In the 70s a 10 year old ford was a pile of dust and 4 tyres

or 6 week old Austin's........

i'd personally just give the black coating that the new panels come in a light sanding with a finishing pad, just to give it a bit of a key before priming and finishing in the normal manner. most of the bodyshop types that i deal with leave it on, just attack any blemishes/pin dents before applying the first primer coat. it's there to protect the metal from corrosion during storage, and is electrostatically applied when the panel is made.

My rear door is a "patern" panel, can't remember were I got it from and you cannot remove the stuff with an angle grinder! The second row doors are genuine landrover replacements and the black protective coat fell off after a couple of weeks. Kinda makes you wonder how the vehicle has lasted 20 years!