Defender Headlights

Good evening all,

I have a 51 reg 90 CSW with I think the STD poor headlights, what can I use to brighten things up ? For off road stuff I have four 9" HID on the roof that do the job more than fine, but I'm after better everyday lighting please ,

I have fitted some new crystal lamp units but don't really cut the mustard , So what can we recommend then please ??

Mant thanks in advance

The biggest problem with Defender is the wiring....Have a read of this old post of mine..

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/about7578.html

I use HELLA headlight units. I actually paid less for the pair that I bought in May this year than I did for the ones I bought in 2004 !!!

I use 100W/ 55W bulbs. Wired so that the dip never goes out with the high beam on. I think it's in the link.

HTH

Remember that fitting bigger bulbs can upset (OK, set fire to) the existing wiring and I think it is illegal too. Go with Mike's relays, Defender lights can be quite adequate but are never likely to compete with modern cars super lights.

Chris

Another vote for the Hella lamp units, better beam pattern and brighter reflector than the Wipac units on my other truck.

Perfectly good enough with with decent quality standard rated bulbs IMHO.

Decent wiring and earthing is essential as well. Check the voltage on the bulbs and compare to the battery voltage, then find the missing volts in between. Halogen bulbs discolour quickly if they run too cool, which they will if the voltage is too low. It's what causes the shiny metallic plating you often see on the inside of old bulbs.

worth checking the wiring I find very bad corrosion in lots of defender wiring looms when changing headlights , I use the phillips 50% uprated bulbs which are much brighter than standard but do not use any more power (remember only a smallish alternator on most defenders) . The hella lamps are stunning. With both I get about the same light output (on MOT light testing machine) as most modern cars.

The biggest problem with Defender is the wiring....Have a read of this old post of mine..

http://landytown.myf.../about7578.html

I use HELLA headlight units. I actually paid less for the pair that I bought in May this year than I did for the ones I bought in 2004 !!!

I use 100W/ 55W bulbs. Wired so that the dip never goes out with the high beam on. I think it's in the link.

HTH

Why a 70 amp Relay Mike? Seems rather overkill, I run 4 100 watt bulbs in my roof lights, wired through a pair of 30 amp relays, works fine.

Why a 70 amp Relay Mike? Seems rather overkill, I run 4 100 watt bulbs in my roof lights, wired through a pair of 30 amp relays, works fine.

Not fot why I use the 70AMP.

The relay it'self isn't a problem. However the 1/4" Lucar connects might cause a Volt drop. So I go dor the 70AMP one with thev 3/8" Lucar connectors.

Notice also I use bulbs with 55Watt dip. Well my theory is that unless a light is lit, then it can't be illegal, So I use that bulb.