Defender heater vent cover

Hi all,

I'm after a snow cover for the passenger side heater vent.

I found new ones being produced by IRB developments but i've not had any answer yet but annoyingly I can't contact via email due to my works laptop throwing me out.

Is there another source for these at all?

Dave!

Guest wunntenn

I got one a decade ago by making it up in cardboard to suit my needs and gave to a local fabricator and they made a steel version. Might be worth trying that if all else fails. Fairly simple shapes.

If you can't get a copy try the genuine thing, available from Blanchard & co (and probably others).

Military snow cover for heater air intake, (as fitted to winterised Landrovers) part no 971.5443, Photo shows right hand drive cover, Price £49.75 + Vat.

there's some pretty nifty GRP ones being sold on Ebay, but I just checked and the seller hasn't got any at the moment, here's a video of them being driven over!

looks sturdy enough for me! stronger and more resistand to damage than the military ones which I guess would be made from sheet ali?

Well my one did last winter (Scotland) and needed cleared every time it snowed, also it will stop all the cr*p of the day landing in the blower motor. I would also like to think that it would stop so much damp air getting to the blower motor.

Worth a go anyway.

Frax

That link is for LHD ones.....

My intake cover also froze last winter, i had to have the blowtorch on it whilst trying to defrost the screen to drive round the moor at night, i'm going to make one of these hopefully from stainless.

To be honest I think the military snow cover OTT for the UK, but maybe in the depths of winter... ?? you never know!

As well as preventing snow blocking the intake, it also stops rainwater, dirt, leaf bits, etc..., from going down the intake and blocking the drain, causing water and muck to get into the Heater Matrix, which results in less heat output and steam and condensation on the inside of the windscreen.

To be honest I think the military snow cover OTT for the UK, but maybe in the depths of winter... ?? you never know!

Something like this

would probably stop most of the issues with snow build up.

That type of vent cover drastically reduces the area that air can drawn through, making the fan work harder and reducing its performance.

It's also more vulnerable to being blocked by snow, which can build-up in front of it.

I've had a Military Snow Cowl fitted on my 110 for over 15 years and I've never had any problems with a blocked or flooded heater, or reduced fan output.

I bought mine direct from Courtaulds Aerospace for the CAV100 (now called NP Aerospace and the CAV100 now better known as "Snatch") back in the mid-90's -

th_Img_0686.jpg . th_Img_0687.jpg . th_Img_0688.jpg . th_Img_0689.jpg . th_Img_0690.jpg

Guest wunntenn

What Paul says. No brainer. My heater vent used to get covered in fallen leaves and that was enough to block the air intake. But even a modest snowfall will block it, and it takes very little freeze/thaw to freeze it solid and render it useless. Got a cowl made for me by a mate out of mild steel 15 years ago, several coats of red lead and two of hammerite and its still there shiny and useful. And as I type I'm watching the snow drift past in giant flakes and the side of the 110 is getting well coated but my heater intake will be just dandy (and as a consequence when my eberspacher fires up in the dark in the morning I know it wont cut out because the vent is blocked with snow).

Guest wunntenn

Mike - I go on the wing and bonnet regularly, putting canoes and kayaks on the roof, stand on it a lot and have never tripped over it. In fact it can give a good edge to stick a boot against when I'm wauchling a kayak up there on my own.