Setting Backlash

tuko

Today I'm trying to set the backlack on the rear diff and it's become a good laugh. I can't seem to get the settings that are in the manual. The Series manual calls for 0.008 to 0.010 in. for the backlash.

Simple enough right, but adjusting the adjusting nuts equally from side to side I'm getting (loose) 0.011 in. or if I tighten a bit I'm at (a tight) 0.006 in.

post-194-0-86903000-1322741347_thumb.jpg

Loosening everything then starting over again, even rotating 3rd turns I'm still getting the same figures as above. It just seems to me that I won't be able to get the recommend figures that the manual says.

Therefore I'm wondering what should I do now? Should I just use one of the figures above and tighten it down or something else that I've not thought of yet?

Todd.

Am I understanding you correctly? You are adjusting 1/3 of a turn at a time? I would suggest much, much smaller movements than that. The less adjustment you need, the smaller increment you must move the cage nuts.

How tight are the bearing caps while you adjust this?

Am I understanding you correctly? You are adjusting 1/3 of a turn at a time? I would suggest much, much smaller movements than that. The less adjustment you need, the smaller increment you must move the cage nuts.

How tight are the bearing caps while you adjust this?

No I mean that I rotate the entire ring gear 3rd turns and measure. The adjuster nuts, I rotate them only one slot at a time.

What happens if you set it at the 0,011 position and then just tighten the nut nearest the crown wheel one slot? Does it make the carrier bearings too tight? Having the pinion set slightly too far out could cause this problem.

If everything else is correct and winding in just the one carrier bearing nut isn't an option, I'd just go for the 0.011 back lash - better slightly too much than too little.

The rear axle I have is a RRC, series 3 diff assembly with 4.70 gears. The diff I'm installing is a Kaiser Locker. With the new locker I'll be installing 24 spline Defender half shafts.

If I'm using Defender 24 spline stuff, should I use the recommended backlash for Defenders ? If I do then the 0.006 in. backlash that I have now would fall perfectly in the middle.

???

I dont normally mess with this for too long; in the end if the gear pattern looks right and the whole thing runs freely for a full crownwheel rotation, I usually call it good.

It is probably better to put this in tools and fabrication, so the diff grown ups read it too.

Daan

i always measure mine before i take them apart, it gives you a good reference for how worn they are. Not much use to you now though :) With the hybrid of parts you have I would do it tight then check it with blue. If it runs ok and the contact is ok then give it a bash :)

I might be reading your description wrong,

But i was taught to adjust the crownwheel on to the pinion until it there is no backlash, then using the other adjuster push the crownwheel off the pinion until the desired backlash is reached.

That is how it is written in the Defender manual, but the series 3 manual does differ. In the end I followed the instructions in the Defender manual.