air con pump as compressor

Pat

i have been looking at using an old air con compressor to provide compressed air for use on the vehicle. Just wondering how many of you have done this and how has the device been connected. The disco engine vehicles look alot easier but how has it been done for those with defender engines as the pulley systems are different especially those of you with 200 tdi. I have had a look at the articles but more information would be appreciated.

Hi Pat

I have done some work on them in the past and one thing I found out is when being used as a air con pump, there is oil put into the in the gas that is compressed to evaporate to cool the air, the oil in the system is used to lubricate the compressor, so i don't know how it would get on just compressing air without any lubrication ?

Regards

Richard

Those questions are answered in the Tech archive threads :)

Short answer -they are fine with some grease stuffed in through a removable port, but nothing more than that is needed, and you don'y need a separater inline either with this method.

Those questions are answered in the Tech archive threads :)

Short answer -they are fine with some grease stuffed in through a removable port, but nothing more than that is needed, and you don'y need a separater inline either with this method.

Not trying to put you off, but I once saw an Air con compressor sheer off the Crank pulley on an Aston Martin V8. The magnetic clutch held and the belt didn't break but the crank sheered straight through. The reason for this very expensive disaster was lack of oil in the compressor caused it to seize suddenly and without warning.

Nice. What centres did you use for the tapped holes in the timing case? I've drawn up a bracket based on a guess using the casting as a guide, but it'd be interesting to see how you've done it.

Luke

95mm x 50 mm and if I remember correctly its 14mm from the front edge of the bottom plate to the center of the first hole.... Quite handy aquiring the genuine bracket for the pump, with the pump. Use M8 bolts, I started with just an alternator and M6 wernt man enough, they pulled out, the compressor and alt are held with 4 M8 bolts and there holding fine.

Saw the latest pics of your 110 after that drink driver hit it, hope all goes well getting your 110 fixed, nightmare to wake up to that :(

Yep, I was pretty gutted if i'm honest... from the outside the landy looks pretty rough but under the skin she's solid and has had 1000's after 1000's spent, it'll live again though, that is for sure.

That whole album shows just how the 110 has changed since i bought it.

Yep, I was pretty gutted if i'm honest... from the outside the landy looks pretty rough but under the skin she's solid and has had 1000's after 1000's spent, it'll live again though, that is for sure.

That whole album shows just how the 110 has changed since i bought it.

A bit OT, but just to clarify for you. Since the damage was caused by the driver of the van your can won't be written off. It's his insurance you are claiming off, not your own. Don't let them write it off, he was at fault so they are not allowed to, the driver of the van is legally obliged to reimburse you for damages caused (through his insurance company generally) and fix your Land Rover!

A bit OT, but just to clarify for you. Since the damage was caused by the driver of the van your can won't be written off. It's his insurance you are claiming off, not your own. Don't let them write it off, he was at fault so they are not allowed to, the driver of the van is legally obliged to reimburse you for damages caused (through his insurance company generally) and fix your Land Rover!

I was on about in general... not after the bump....

95mm x 50 mm and if I remember correctly its 14mm from the front edge of the bottom plate to the center of the first hole.... Quite handy aquiring the genuine bracket for the pump, with the pump. Use M8 bolts, I started with just an alternator and M6 wernt man enough, they pulled out, the compressor and alt are held with 4 M8 bolts and there holding fine.

I've checked the drawing I had, I'd got 95 x 50mm on there, so it's good to confirm that. Thanks for the tip on M6/M8 bolts. I'll probably helicoil them too.

Land Rover never did. Pretty sure the bolt holes in the disco timing case for the air con are M10, I havent got round to my onboard air yet, but I did lashup the screenwash bottle on here for the MoT.

It amazes me the number of jobs we get at work which are helicoiled before use, ok some are ali, but also stainless', chrome moly steels, and nimonics...weird....